[Oasfaa] Budget question

Jonna L. Raney jlraney at stgregorys.edu
Fri Sep 29 13:01:48 CDT 2006

I have a request from a student who needs to replace his French Horn
after an unfortunate "dropping the horn" incident. (The horn will cost
$4000, but he currently has $1780 in his COA budget that he can use.
He's requested that I increase his COA budget so that he can take an
alternative loan to cover the cost of the new horn.  He claims this is a
school related expense because he uses it for school and plans to go to
grad school as a french horn performance major and his auditions are
coming up soon.

So, is it a stretch to call this a personal/miscellaneous expense? My
first reaction was, "heck no," but I want to make sure I'm being fair.
He's not a music major here at SGU or I might be leaning more in his
direction.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Jonna