[Oasfaa] FW: Wednesday Update/Vicki

Emerson, Kristina K kristina-emerson at utulsa.edu
Wed May 2 18:47:04 CDT 2007

Hi Everyone...

I am forwarding an email that Vicki's cousin wrote which will explain to
you what is going on...
On Monday she had a kidney biopsy and they took some bone marrow...as I
am sending this I just received a call that they are taking her back
down to remove fluid from her lungs again.  This was extremely painful
for Vicki so please pray that this time will go much smoother for her.

Thank you all for your calls and support!!!

Kristi

  Her internal medicine doctor had been by with a preliminary diagnosis
around 11:00.  Shortly after I arrived, the kidney doctor came in and
said that the results of the kidney biopsy had come in and Vicki has a
condition called TTP (Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura).  This
condition is very rare and depletes large numbers of platlets.  Another
condition, HUS (Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome) goes somewhat in hand with
this.  The treatment for this is to insert a catheter in collarbone
area and being plasma exchange.  We talked at length to the doctor
concerning Vicki and how concerned we were and he said if hind sight
were 20/20, he should have done this biopsy last week, but her levels
did not present itself to be this condition.  Vicki is what they refer
to as an Atypical Presentation.  Three different doctors used that
exact term yesterday.  She is NOT a text book case so therefore, they
were puzzled by all the things going on.  She did not present the
classic 5 symptoms they were looking for with TTP.  This is associated
with ecoli as well.

After visiting with this doctor, they immediately got her ready for
this cath insert.  We went down to the CT area and the Physicians
Assistant who removed the fluid off the sack of her lung area several
days ago was going to do the procedure.  His name is Tom and he is a
saint.  The Radiologist that performed the kidney biopsy on Monday saw
us in the holding area and wanted to know what was up.  He and Tom
worked closely together and he said, this is serious and I want to make
sure that Vicki is taken care of and that we get this done immediately.
They took her in and got the cath inserted.  Both of these men are
wonderful and have the greatest bedside manner and truly have Vicki's
utmost interest at heart.

When we arrived back upstairs, they indicated that Red Cross would be
coming at 6:30pm to begin the Plasma Exchange.  I have never seen the
process of what this procedure.  The Red Cross sends a person to do it.
  A huge machine was brought in the room and the lady came with her
little red/white ice chest with FFP (Fresh Frozen Plasma).  It is quite
an ordeal to get it all going.  They had decided to do a 1 gallon
exchange, so therefore, 13 bags of plasma were brought in.  Each bag
has to be matched with paperwork and logged in.  She finally got
everything hooked up and began the process.  This actually takes the
blood out of Vicki and runs it thru a machine where the old plasma is
separated from the blood thru a centrifuge and as it is processed to go
back in, the new plasma goes back into Vicki.  We were able to be in
the room for the whole procedure and we got to see the old plasma that
came off her.  It was a greenish pond colored looking yuck.  The Red
Cross lady said it was pretty yucky and that each day it will improve
as the old comes out and the new goes in.  The doctors have ordered 7
treatments of plasma exchange.  They do one per day.  This can also be
done as out patient if Vicki goes home and still requires more
exchanges.

In addition to the plasma exchange, she will be treated with steroids,
Prednisone.  She may have some more swelling but the doctor said it
would actually help with her breathing.  They have not made a decision
to dialysis as yet, but the cath is in, so if they do decide to do it,
she is ready to go.  Her creatinne was 3.8 yesterday.  It has been
going up since last week.  Her kidney output is still weak and they
have stopped the Lasix.  They may put the foli cath back in today.  She
was not to thrilled about that but the kidney doctor indicated he may
want to do it again.

A new doctor came on board yesterday that is a Hematologist/Oncologist.
  He came in the room yesterday around 6:00pm and talked to Bill and I
extensively about Vicki.  He is very concerned.  Because he is new to
the case, he wanted some info about how all this came about.  He did
tell us that this is very serious and the plasma exchange and steroids
is the proper treatment for TTP, but he is still wanting to get the
results of the Bone Marrow.  Those results should be in today.  The
bone marrow culture will take a little longer to get the results.  He
did tell us she did not have leukemia but he is anxious to get the
other tests results in.

If you are interested in learning more about TTP, you can go the the
Mayo Clinic web site:    www.mayoclinic.com and click on Diseases and
Conditions......scroll down to the word Thrombocytopenic and you can
pull up all sorts of information about this condition.

I do want to remind you that even though Vicki may start showing signs
of improvements, the doctors have indicated that she is a very very
sick person.  Please  realize that they are still asking for No
Visitors as she always tries to talk even if you are just sitting there
and she feels so badly if someone comes and they are asked to not stay
or limit their visit.  Vicki is always concerned that she is hurting
someones feelings if she is not able to visit.  I have assured her that
she should not worry about that and that everyone certainly understands
that SHE comes first and that we all want her well again.  Only Vicki
would be concerned about everyone else as she lies there so sick

I hope that this e-mail is able to explain a little more and if you
have any concerns, please feel free to call or e-mail me back.  I do
give Vicki the messages that many  of you have via my e-mail.  You
should see her room, every doctor that walked in yesterday said, Oh my
Gosh, she must be loved.  TU students made a huge banner that is
hanging on one wall and we have hung cards over practically every bare
space we can find.  She continues to have her flowers in the room.  I
try to exchange the water and clean out each time I am there.  She has
pics of the kids and she has probably received well over 100 emails.

Again, that you all for your prayers and please continue to pray that
this procedure will be successful and that all other results will come
back good.