[Oasfaa] Housing allowing question

Jonna Raney Jonna.Raney at okbu.edu
Wed May 30 08:53:42 CDT 2007

I have a strange situation that I'd like your input and expertise.

The parents of a student live at a church camp and serve as camp director. They are required to live in a house on site because of the 24 hour on-call nature of their job.  Their utilities are also paid by the Baptist assoc that owns the camp. Based on this information, we included $8400 in untaxed income and called it housing allowance on Worksheet B.

The kicker is that I learned this morning after a much pleasant :-) call w/ the father that they actually have a primary residence nearby the camp that they pay normal living expenses for such as utilities and house payment.

So, what do you think?  Is it housing in this case? or is it a job requirement and not a benefit?  I want to be as fair as I can be w/ the family (even though he has been less than nice about it) but I want to do it right.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Jonna Raney
OBU