[Oasfaa] More News

Lynell Armstrong lynella at gctech.org
Thu Apr 24 10:15:39 CDT 2008

Hi, all!

I had intended to get some of the latest news out to those who were
unable to attend the OASFAA Spring Conference and Pam's email reminded
me.  Also, thanks, Laura for sending out the pix and info to everyone.

One other bit of news (and it's a biggie!) is that we have cancelled our
OASFAA Fall 2008 conference in Tulsa.  The USED scheduled a second FSA
conference in Dallas the exact same week as our Fall conference.  The
board looked at the possibility of rescheduling the fall conference, but
the only week that would have been available was the week after the FSA
conference in Dallas.  We decided that, with tightened school budgets,
schools might not be able to send people to both the FSA conference and
the OASFAA conference, so we cancelled.  It cost the association
$5737.43 to get out of our contract.  If we had decided to try to have
the conference and then had to cancel it later, it would have cost
$28,687.16 (if we cancelled from 179 to 45 days out) and $64,358.46 if
we had to cancel at the last minute (44 days prior to the conference).

I realize that this decision takes away your excuse to go to the FSA
conference in Las Vegas (instead of Dallas), but we really didn't feel
like we had much of a choice.  Since the membership had already voted to
go to one conference a year anyway, we just did that a little earlier
than expected.

We will continue to have Decentralized Training in the Fall (don't know
the date, yet) and probably some kind of Support Staff Training next
year.  Our next full conference will be April 15-17, 2009 at the Reed
Center in Midwest City.  We are negotiating with the Tulsa Renaissance
to try to get them to give us credit for some of the $5737.43 if we
schedule our Spring 2010 conference with them.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Spring and Summer.  We really did miss
those of you who were unable to attend the Spring conference.

Lynell