[Oasfaa] one-time earnings question

Jonna Raney Jonna.Raney at okbu.edu
Tue Mar 18 09:39:18 CDT 2008

We have a new one for us at OBU.  A family income jumped from around $35K (full pell, seog, oteg, otage elig) for 0708 to over $200K primarily because of a huge gambling winning.  Of course, that means, no need-based aid for next year unless we do a PJ to take the winnings off since it was a one-time thing.  She states that the money is pretty much gone as she paid a lot of medical bills and other debt off so it's not showing in her assets either.

I'm just curious as to what you all might do in this situation or would you simply do nothing.  When parents take a w/d out of their retirement to pay bills or something, we will do a PJ in those cases, so I'm wondering if I can justify not treating this case in the same way.

Thanks in advance for your feedback,

Jonna Raney
Director of Student Financial Services
Oklahoma Baptist University