[Oasfaa] OASFAA Fall Decentralized Training Announcement

Larry Hollingsworth lhollingsworth at osla.org
Thu Sep 4 15:25:21 CDT 2008

Greetings Everyone,

It's that time of year again to mark your calendars for our annual
OASFAA Decentralized training. This year the Oklahoma training will be
taking place on Friday, October 10. Our trainers will be none other than
David Barron and Mendy Schmerer.  The training will take place in Norman
on the University of Oklahoma campus.

The topic, Aspects of Student Eligibility deals with basic student
eligibility for Title IV aid issues. It will focus on database matches,
verifying veteran status, recent modifications to constructing the cost
of attendance (COA), and changes to Federal Methodology (FM) effective
for the 2009-10 award year. This is something applicable to every
financial aid office. You do this stuff everyday. Come and either
confirm what you are doing is correct or confirm what you need to be
doing differently, or probably a combination of the two. Since we are
not having a fall OASFAA Conference this year, we are hoping this
training opportunity will afford you the chance to touch base with
colleagues and "brush up" on constantly changing regulations.

We are trying to avoid a registration fee for attendees. Lunch will be
provided. However, we have not yet been able to finalize some of the
arrangements. If a registration fee is required, it will be a nominal
amount because we are wanting as many to participate in the training as
possible. At the same time, please note that this year there will be a
$60 charge for the materials. We will be ordering 60 packets. Last year
55 schools attended the training. Therefore, the first 60 schools to
register and request a packet will get priority. If we need more than 60
packets, we'll try to get more, but no promises.

Now, how do we handle registrations? You know the drill. I like to keep
it as simple as possible. Please reply with the number of the attendees
from your school and how many packets you would like to purchase. The
attendee count is to give us a preliminary idea of what we might be
looking at for lunch. In late September, I'll shoot you a reminder email
with final details and ask for the names of the attendees so we can firm
up the count in case there are any changes.

This will be a great training opportunity. We look forward to seeing
everyone there.

Thank you,

Larry Hollingsworth

OASFAA Training Committee Chair