[Oasfaa] Special Circumstances

Mc Conahay, Pamela K. pmcconahay at ou.edu
Wed May 6 16:27:37 CDT 2009

Yes, absolutely.  I've never believed that why someone left their job should affect whether we do a PJ adjustment.

Back in the day (i.e., long before most of you were in financial aid but Sherry and I remember), there was a federal "Special Condition Form" that students had to file to get a revised EFC for Pell eligibility.  It was like a second FAFSA  and had a prescribed set of criteria that would allow a student to have his EFC recalculated based on new income information.  That Special Condition Form only asked if students or their parents met certain criteria (been out of work for X number of weeks, income reduced due to natural disaster, etc.).  It never asked WHY someone had been out of work.  I figure if the old super restrictive federal Special Conditions Form didn't judge why someone wasn't working, I shouldn't either.

Maybe they had to move for her to go back to school.  Maybe he's going to be "Mr. Mom" and take care of the kids while she's in school.  Maybe he's ill and that's why she's going to school, so she can be the primary breadwinner for the family.   Whatever the reason is, it's done and we need to help the family deal with the resulting loss of income.

GEN 04-02 Use of Professional Judgment by Aid Administrators, issued 04/02/2009:

[cid:image002.png at 01C9CE67.91CB6870]

Pam McConahay
Associate Director, University of Oklahoma Financial Aid Services
pmcconahay at ou.edu