[Oasfaa] Another Verification Question

Karen Jeffers jeffersk at redlandscc.edu
Tue Nov 10 11:41:27 CST 2009

We have a student that has informed us that she is expecting a baby in February 2010 and would like us to "re-evaluate" her FAFSA.  She has been a student of ours for several semesters and was not selected for verification for 2009-10.  She was packaged at the beginning of the summer (probably before she knew she was pregnant) and has subsequently received her fall disbursement of FSA funds.

Are we required to update her household size to include the unborn child?  She is independent by age and has only reported 1 in the household.

What I found in the Handbook says, "Unlike dependency status, household size or number in college cannot be updated unless the student is selected for verification. If he is selected, these items must be updated to be correct at the time of verification unless they changed due to a change in the student's marital status, in which case updating is not permitted."

Does this mean that we have to select the student for verification and proceed with the update?  Or, since she wasn't originally selected for verification, has already been packaged, and received a FSA disbursement, is making the update optional?

Thanks!
Karen

Karen Jeffers
Director of Financial Aid
Redlands Community College
1300 S. Country Club Road
El Reno, OK 73036-5304
Office: 405-422-1442
Fax: 405-422-1463

"Redlands Community College provides a learner-centered environment committed to academic excellence strengthened through service and civic engagement."