[Oasfaa] Year Round Pell question

Myrna Cross myrna.cross at wosc.edu
Thu Apr 22 11:30:13 CDT 2010

Good Morning!
I spoke with Kevin Campbell from the Dept of Ed Tuesday afternoon about this
and several other scenarios.

First, we talked about students who are not "degree seeking" and he was
adamant that a student who is not degree seeking at your school can NOT
receive title IV aid at your school.  I then used the example of a student
who took classes with us while in high school as a concurrently enrolled
student and has earned several hours with us ( I used the example of 18
hours) by the time they graduate from high school.  They go off to a 4 year
institution for the fall/spring semesters and then return to us for summer
school.  That student could very easily transfer the hours earned from the 4
year back to us and eventually earn an associates degree.  He said if that
student declares they are degree seeking, that changes the picture and they
are eligible.  The main factor is whether they are degree seeking at your
institution.  A student can't just state they're degree seeking when they
have no intention of seeking a degree at your institution.

I also brought up consortium agreements and referenced the Financial Aid
Handbook Vol.2 Chapter 7. on page 2-96 where the handbook states:

"Usually, the home school is responsible for disbursing funds, but if the
student is enrolled for a full term or academic year at the host school, it
may be easier for the host school to monitor the student's eligibility and
make payments."

I have never done a consortium agreement this way and was concerned about
the responsibilities of the host and home institutions.  He said as long as
you follow the guidelines in the handbook that it is possible for the host
school to be the school that disburses the aid. This would all be spelled
out in the consortium agreement. The SAP would normally be monitored by the
home school but once again, this would all need to be covered in the
consortium agreement.

Mr. Campbell said where most schools get in trouble on consortium agreements
is they don't do what they say they are going to do in the agreement.  We
talked about a group consortium between several schools and individual
consortiums.  He said some schools get confused with academic consortium
agreements between schools and financial aid consortiums.  They are not the
same thing.

We may try to do some agreements this way for the summer.  Basically, I just
want to give you a heads up to read any new consortium agreements you may
get from WOSC.  We may be listing you as the HOME school instead of the way
we normally have done in the past.  It is up to each school to decide if
they want to sign the agreement and proceed this way.

I'm interested in hearing what your concerns are.  I don't have a new
agreement drafted up yet, but I may contact some of you individually if we
have a student this applies to who is seeking a degree at your institution.

I'm sending a copy of this email to Mr. Campbell for any possible errors I
have made.  Please correct me.
Thanks for your input.

Myrna Cross
Western Oklahoma State College