[Oasfaa] Question

Rick Cox rcox at globalfas.com
Thu Aug 5 10:08:10 CDT 2010

Hi Everyone - I'm hoping someone can provide advice on Title IV eligibility for a Ph.D. program when the student only has the dissertation remaining.  If you have a dissertation that is worth 4 credit hours, how do you treat this requirement for completion purposes and Title IV eligibility?  Let's say we have one student that takes 4 semesters to complete the dissertation.  Would you count that as dissertation 1, dissertation 2, dissertation 3 and dissertation 4 and count that as enrollment status for each of those 4 semesters?  What about a student that completes it in 2 semesters?  Would they be treated differently even though the dissertations are worth the same toward the program requirement regardless of how long it takes to complete.

Or do you only count it once and not allow any Title IV beyond that 1st semester that they begin completing the dissertation?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Rick Cox
Director of Compliance and Regulatory Affairs
Global Financial Aid Services
(918) 606-9227
rcox at globalfas.com