[Oasfaa] Winter in Oklahoma

Mc Conahay, Pamela K. pmcconahay at ou.edu
Fri Jan 8 18:36:58 CST 2010

WINTER POEM

It's winter in Oklahoma
and the gentle breezes blow
seventy miles an hour
at thirty-five below.

Oh, how I love  Oklahoma
when the snow's up to your butt.
You take a breath of winter
and your nose gets frozen  shut.

Yes, the weather here is wonderful.
so I guess I'll hang around.
I could never leave Oklahoma
cuz I'm frozen to the ground!

To quote Robin Williams on Mork & Mindy "it's colder than a witch's brass welldigger out there!"

Notice the new title and  physical address (same phone, same email, different fax).

Anika Cole-Carr left us in August (she went to ATI in Oklahoma City) and I've moved to take her place in our office that handles non-traditional students (Advanced Programs & Liberal Studies).

I came down here to 'cover' this area until we hired a new person and told everyone who asked "oh, no, I'd never do this permanently"......yeah right.    There's not much foot traffic because most of our students are not physically here on campus, but our phones & email are busy busy.   The parking area is right next to the building and there's a colony of feral cats  close by that I see every day and help feed (no petting, but one named Rose talks to me).    Good parking, kitties, closer to the basketball arena....what more could you want?

This is part of a transition toward the big R (no, not dyed red hair, I've already got that.....I'm talking retirement).  I'm gradually passing my  compliance & other duties to others (mainly Caryn Pacheco).  Jehan Parekh has been promoted to Associate Director for loans, which she richly deserves.  And, I'm trying to make these 'square peg' non-traditional students fit into round holes in Banner.   We've finished converting all the offices to Banner (the Bursar went over the winter break).  Brad is still leading the Banner project, moving into Phase II....reports, modifications and support.  And, yes, he still has the chickens and the egg business.

I have committed to staying at least through 2010 so this area goes through a full year cycle in Banner;  we need to get processes running smoothly and document them for whoever comes next.  I don't know if I'll stay past that point, it will depend on whether I'm still enjoying myself.   Shoot, I could win the lottery and be gone 1/1/2011....of course, I'd have to actually PLAY, wouldn't I?

Hope all are enjoying the new year and staying warm!

Pam McConahay
Associate Director, Non-Traditional Programs, University of Oklahoma Financial Aid Services
1610 Asp Ave, McCarter Hall Ste 104  Norman, OK  73019-6405
(405) 325-4617 Fax (405) 325-5337
pmcconahay at ou.edu<mailto:pmcconahay at ou.edu>
This message, and attachments if any, from the University of Oklahoma may contain confidential or privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient of this information, you are prohibited from reading, disclosing, reproducing, distributing, disseminating, or otherwise using this information.  If you received this transmission in error, please notify the sender and delete this message immediately.