[Oasfaa] Dependancy Override

Denise Conklin dconklin at hc.edu
Wed Jun 9 11:17:16 CDT 2010

I have a student who has circumstances that to me seem like she could be
considered independent.   Her mother passed away when she was a child and
her father never remarried.  In September of 2008 he suffered a massive
stroke and has been on long term disability for a year now.  The students
older sister has power of attorney.  There were income taxes filed for the
father but all of his income is from using up sick leave and life
insurance.  He is in a nursing home and will be there indefinitely so any
money he has coming will be put toward his long term care.

I was going to have the student fill out the dependency override forms but
someone told me that those are only for students who have been abandoned.

It still seems to me that she should be considered independent.  Basically
she has been abandoned even though it was not any fault of her parents.

I would like to do the dependency override because it seems so much quicker
and cleaner.  Can it be done that way or do I need to pursue the Special
Circumstances, PJ route?