[Oasfaa] SWASFAA update

Schmerer, Mendy M. (HSC) Mendy-Schmerer at ouhsc.edu
Tue Feb 4 11:09:35 CST 2014

Greetings OASFAA!  The 2014 SWASFAA Board met in Arlington, Texas January 27th and 28th.  Oklahoma is well represented on the Board this year.  Our very own Andrew Hammontree is serving as SWASFAA President, Lori Boyd serves on the Board as OASFAA's President, Audra Main is serving as the annual Conference Chair, Scott DeBoard is serving as Training Chair, and I am privileged to be the Oklahoma Delegate-At-Large and Leadership Development Chair.  Additionally we have several Oklahoma colleagues serving on various committees.

It is early in the year, but the SWASFAA Board has quite a few things in store for its membership.  Some are brand new initiatives that SWASFAA is launching, so be prepared for announcements soon with quite a few more details.  Below are some of the high points of the meeting.

Membership:

 *   Your institution's primary contact can log in at www.swasfaa.org<http://www.swasfaa.org> at any time and renew 2014 membership dues.  Once the membership status is renewed, the website will generate an invoice to be given to the school's business office to request payment.

Training:

 *   Details will be announced soon about a "Best Practices" webinar with SWASFAA colleagues serving as panelists.  If this is successful, we may offer additional webinars throughout the year.
 *   Boot Camp for new aid officers will be held in New Orleans at Harrah's on November 3rd, 4th, and 5th.
 *   A leadership development workshop will be held in New Orleans at Harrah's on November 5th.
 *   The annual SWASFAA conference will be held in New Orleans at Harrah's on November 5th, 6th, and 7th.
The bottom line?  Plan on being in New Orleans that week!!

Communication:

 *   A blog has been added to the SWASFAA website and soon you will see regular postings there, providing details about the goings-on that SWASFAA has throughout the year.  Visit http://swasfaa.org/b/ and register so you can leave comments!
 *   SWASFAA will soon launch a new Facebook page, so when the announcement goes out, make sure to 'like' the new page.

Policies and Procedures:

 *   Because ours is a dynamic, ever changing industry, it is important that we, as an organization, ensure that we say what we do and we do what we say we do.  A review of our Policies and Procedures gave us the opportunity to clarify and refine a few points of operation.

We will meet again on April 28th and 29th, so please feel free to contact me with any questions, concerns, or feedback that I can take to the Board.

Thanks!

Mendy Schmerer
Assistant Director
Office of Student Financial Aid