[Oasfaa] OK-CAN Professional Development Opportunity

Schmerer, Mendy M. (HSC) Mendy-Schmerer at ouhsc.edu
Wed May 7 11:03:30 CDT 2014

On behalf of our colleagues at OCAP, please see below.

The Oklahoma College Access Network (OK-CAN), an initiative of the Oklahoma College Assistance Program, would like to extend an invitation to you to sign up as a member<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v1/url?u=https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/QN7PFMX&k=7DHVT22D9IhC0F3WohFMBA%3D%3D%0A&r=3FzektddOA%2BuX1sZs6OX4Y4OSdCLjHnFYl%2FJvLARkCU%3D%0A&m=8PuAwImVGbUb7%2FS8l2fvOBpr6701KAISySfV0l916Js%3D%0A&s=e57ef14447940222131ed6cd20d06b7b2743b9e2aaf1130ce3628f584608ce34> and join us for an informative webinar<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v1/url?u=https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/OKCAN-May13&k=7DHVT22D9IhC0F3WohFMBA%3D%3D%0A&r=3FzektddOA%2BuX1sZs6OX4Y4OSdCLjHnFYl%2FJvLARkCU%3D%0A&m=8PuAwImVGbUb7%2FS8l2fvOBpr6701KAISySfV0l916Js%3D%0A&s=8a06de9ca3cda635b8593c80b5812cacbf252a1cea54843c25ebf491cf63a4c1> on May 13th on the topic of assisting homeless and unaccompanied youth (details are included below).  If you have other co-workers, colleagues or trading partners who support or promote college access that you think may be interested in participating, please forward this email to them.  There are no fees or charges to become a member or to participate in our professional development opportunities, so we hope you'll take us up on our offer.

OK-CAN Professional Development Opportunity:  Webinar on Resources for Assisting Homeless and Unaccompanied Youth

We are pleased to announce an exciting opportunity to participate in a one-hour video webinar hosted by OK-CAN!  Our webinar speaker is Cyekeia Lee, the National Higher Education Liaison for Homeless Youth, based in Taylor, Michigan. Join us on Tuesday, May 13, 2014, at 1:30 p.m. (CST) for information about helping our nation's homeless youth overcome the challenges they encounter as they consider higher education.

Webinar Description:
This webinar will provide an overview of the College Cost Reduction and Access Act (CCRAA), which allows McKinney-Vento eligible students who are unaccompanied homeless youth (UHY) to apply for financial aid independently without parental information. Cyekeia will discuss the four types of McKinney-Vento professionals that can determine a student's unaccompanied homeless youth status. Best practices will be shared for high school and college counselors working with unaccompanied homeless youth. National, state, and local resources will be provided to better assist unaccompanied homeless youth, and to eliminate barriers these youth experience when transitioning from high school to post-secondary education programs.

OK-CAN members can register for this informative webinar by clicking on this survey link<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v1/url?u=https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/OKCAN-May13&k=7DHVT22D9IhC0F3WohFMBA%3D%3D%0A&r=3FzektddOA%2BuX1sZs6OX4Y4OSdCLjHnFYl%2FJvLARkCU%3D%0A&m=8PuAwImVGbUb7%2FS8l2fvOBpr6701KAISySfV0l916Js%3D%0A&s=8a06de9ca3cda635b8593c80b5812cacbf252a1cea54843c25ebf491cf63a4c1>.  If you're not an OK-CAN member, sign up today<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v1/url?u=https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/QN7PFMX&k=7DHVT22D9IhC0F3WohFMBA%3D%3D%0A&r=3FzektddOA%2BuX1sZs6OX4Y4OSdCLjHnFYl%2FJvLARkCU%3D%0A&m=8PuAwImVGbUb7%2FS8l2fvOBpr6701KAISySfV0l916Js%3D%0A&s=e57ef14447940222131ed6cd20d06b7b2743b9e2aaf1130ce3628f584608ce34> so that you can participate in this webinar, as well as other opportunities that are provided to network members throughout the year.  Membership is free!

The week before the meeting, we'll send you the link needed to access the webinar. You should be able to see and hear the information using your current browser. We'll also send directions for listening in by phone if you don't have computer access at the time of the meeting, and we'll give you directions on how to access Cyekeia's PowerPoint on the OK-CAN website.

This will be our first of several webinars that will be offered to share information with our members as an alternative method to in-person meetings.  If you have an idea for a webinar that would be helpful to OK-CAN members, please let us know.

Penny Gandy & Letha Huddleston
Outreach Services
Oklahoma College Assistance Program (OCAP)
A division of the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education
405.234.4239

Note: This communication and attachments, if any, are intended solely for the use of the addressee hereof. In addition, this information and attachments, if any, may contain information that is confidential, privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable law including, but not limited to, the Privacy Act of 1974. If you are not the intended recipient of this information, you are prohibited from reading, disclosing, reproducing, distributing, disseminating, or otherwise using this information. If you have received this message in error, please promptly notify the sender and immediately delete this communication from your system.

Mendy Schmerer, M.Ed.
Assistant Director
Office of Student Financial Aid
1106 N. Stonewall, Rm 301