[Oasfaa] Tax filing question

Jonna Raney jonna.raney at okbu.edu
Tue Oct 21 16:53:31 CDT 2014

We have a student who turned in a Verif Worksheet w/ both Mom and Dad on the worksheet. The tax return, however, is just Mom and she filed Head of Household. Normally, we'd tell her she has to refile with dad or file Married Filing Separate and then give us Dad's tax return as well. However....

The wrinkle is that Dad was not "legal" according to mom so she couldn't file with him. If I remember correctly, if she files "Married Filing Separately" she'd have to list him and his SSN on the tax return, so that may not have been an option for her either. She states that he is legal now, so should we have her file an amended return with him (either joint or separate)? Take the Head of household return and list dad in the family and list his income as "untaxed?"

What would you do? What Should we do?

It's days like this that make me realize I really don't know anything at all about financial aid. :)

Thanks in advance for your input,
Jonna