[Oasfaa] Head of household

Isaacs, Becky A. bisaacs at ecok.edu
Mon Aug 24 13:55:34 CDT 2015

We have a student that filed as Dependent, 9 in the family 2 in college.  The FAFSA was flagged for verification.  Everything looks proper until you get to the student's tax return transcript.  She filed Head of Household claiming two of the younger siblings.  The student received a very large refund due to the EIC.  Now the parents are claiming the student lived in another house, on their property, raising the two younger siblings.  This is one of three different stories that we have heard from the student and the parents.  An older sibling is also a student at ECU and filed the FAFSA with 9 in the household and 2 in college and did not file an income tax return.

We told the student and her mother that the student would be required to amended her 2014 taxes to single instead of Head of Household.  Is this what you would do??

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Becky Isaacs

Becky Isaacs, M.S.A.
Director of Financial Aid

East Central University
Financial Aid Office
1100 E. 14th Street
Ada, OK 74820
580-559-5242
FAX - 580-436-5612

East Central University's mission is to foster a learning environment in which students, faculty, staff, and community interact to educate students for life in a rapidly changing and culturally diverse society. Within its service area, East Central University provides leadership for economic development and cultural enhancement.