[Oasfaa] Military Housing question for a Friday afternoon...

Jonna Raney jonna.raney at okbu.edu
Fri Mar 11 16:24:49 CST 2016

We can't get the same answer twice (or get anyone to answer the phone on the school line) from the DOE so I thought I'd ask the question here.

We are stumped on a FAFSA question. On the untaxed question regarding housing allowance, it says:

94.g. Housing, Food and other living allowances paid to members of the military, clergy and others (including cash payments and cash value of benefits.) Don't include the value of on-base military housing or the value of a basic military allowance for housing.
It seems to me that the first sentence says to claim military housing, but the second sentence says not to include it. Which is correct? What am I missing? We've always had families include housing allowance as untaxed, but a mom is pushing the issue and when we went back to the FAFSA instructions, we are not questioning ourselves.