[Oasfaa] FW: Graduate Students Escaped Tax Increases, but They Still Feel a Target on Their Backs

Schmerer, Mendy M. (HSC) Mendy-Schmerer at ouhsc.edu
Wed Dec 20 13:43:25 CST 2017

Without starting a lot of political commentary, I want to share this email thread with you all to give you some food for thought. While the thread itself is in response to a graduate student-specific article, I believe the tenor of the article speaks to all of higher education. Regardless of where you identify on the political spectrum, I believe higher education is a greater political target now than ever before. The funding programs that directly impact our students, that many of our students heavily depend upon, are being adversely affected due to policy and budget decisions that are often based upon flawed logic (or none at all, opinions will vary), poor or skewed data, or assumptions not based in fact.

Our legislators need to be reminded how extremely valuable higher education is to a successful civilization. Education changes lives - that of the student, the immediate family, and in most cases, the family for generations to come. Is the system flawed and need of improvement? Absolutely. Should the students suffer the brunt of ill-thought out policy? They should absolutely not.

The proposal below was part of the tax bill currently awaiting Presidential signature and was not included in the final version. However this, and many other provisions that have passed in recent years that have chipped away at funding and eligibility highlights the fact that we, as financial aid administrators, need to barrage our legislators with our advocacy efforts since a reauthorization bill<https://www.nasfaa.org/house_hea_bill> of the HEA has passed out of the House committee. Reauthorization is way overdue, and while the political climate we currently live in makes it uncertain if and when anything happens out of Congress, we must be prepared. Our legislators need to hear our voices, whether they like what we have to say not, they still need to hear it.

Before reaching out to any federal legislators and/or staffers, talk to your administration. They need to know, if they don't already, how important our advocacy efforts are. However, you want to ensure you are following your institution's protocol in terms of any advocacy work you wish to do.

Senator Jim Inhofe, https://www.inhofe.senate.gov/
Senator James Lankford, https://www.lankford.senate.gov/
Representative Jim Bridenstine, https://bridenstine.house.gov/
Representative Markwayne Mullin, https://mullin.house.gov/
Representative Frank Lucas, https://lucas.house.gov/
Representative Tom Cole, https://cole.house.gov/
Representative Steve Russell, https://russell.house.gov/

Have a safe and blessed break and a very merry Christmas!

Mendy Schmerer, M.Ed.
Director, Office of Student Financial Aid
1106 N. Stonewall, Rm 301
Oklahoma City, OK  73117
(405) 271-2118, x 48817 (p)
(405) 271-5446 (f)
Mendy-Schmerer at ouhsc.edu<mailto:Mendy-Schmerer at ouhsc.edu>
http://www.ouhsc.edu/financialservices/SFA/

[FB-f-Logo__blue_29] Become our fan on Facebook:  www.facebook.com/OUHSCFinancialAid<http://www.facebook.com/OUHSCFinancialAid>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This email, including any attachments, contains information from The University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, which may be confidential or privileged.  The information is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this information is prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by a "reply to sender only" message and destroy all electronic and hard copies of the communication, including attachments.