[Oasfaa] Tax Question

Alicia Smith Alicia.Smith at metrotech.edu
Thu Aug 30 10:40:51 CDT 2018

Ok here is my question and situation.  Have a dependent student who was selected for verification.  The students mother did not work, however; the father worked but under someone else's social security number that he bought.  He made under the amount according to what he has told my counselor to where he is not required to file a tax return.  The student also has OK Promise which cannot be paid until verification can be completed.  They filed a tax return in 2009 using the ITIN number, we believe the reason they have not filed using the ITIN number is they are afraid.

My question is how would you handle this situation?
Would you take a letter and/or w2 from the employer to verify the income and move on?

Not trying to get anyone in trouble and that includes my staff.

Thanks

Alicia Smith, BS,ML
Financial Aid Director/Certifying VA Offical
Metro Technology Centers
1900 Springlake Drive
OKC OK 73111
405-595-4437