[Oasfaa] SWASFAA February Update

Marrujo, Jason jason.marrujo at okstate.edu
Wed Feb 21 09:53:41 CST 2018

SWASFAA Team Chatter has posted a new item, 'SWASFAA Friends - February Journey Update'

SWASFAA Friends,

Happy Monday!  Where is everyone on their journey this month?  For the first time this year, the temperature was above freezing this morning.  I am ready to run!  I am not a very good treadmill runner - accident prone and treadmill - not a good combination!  I will do it - I just have to remind myself - don't STOP while the belt is moving!!!  I did invest in a rowing machine which I am truly enjoying in the comfort of my garage during these cold temperatures.  Once I figured out the entire apparatus as to where do I put my feet and the coordination of it all, it turned out to be nice, overall workout in the early mornings.  I don't know about all of you, but the Olympics are keeping me up late into the evenings!  What is your favorite event to watch?  I love the hockey and men's alpine downhill.  It was funny this morning, I had the women's hockey game on and caught myself yelling out loud, "To the penalty box!!!"

We had our first SWASFAA Board of Directors meeting last month.  The meeting minutes will be posted on the SWASFAA site for you to read.  The following members are representing SWASFAA this year:

SWASFAA Board
Member
Institution

President
Shannon Crossland
Texas Tech University

Past-President
Denise Welch
Panola College

President-Elect
Lauren Jackson
Northwestern State University

Treasurer
Cindy Perez
University of Louisiana-Lafayette

Secretary
Erika Cox
University of Texas - San Antonio

AR President
Vicki Walker
NYIT COM @ Arkansas State University

LA President
Katraya Williams
Southern University - Shreveport

NM President
Mindi-Kim Schrum
San Juan College

OK President
Karen Jeffers
Tulsa Community College

TX President
Chris Murr
Texas State University

AR Delegate
Emily Patterson
University of Arkansas - Fayetteville

LA Delegate
Lynette Viskozki
Centenary College of Louisiana

NM Delegate
Jan Terry-Sanchez
Eastern New Mexico University - Portales

OK Delegate
Jason Marrujo
Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences

TX Delegate
Cynthia Butler
Dallas County Community College District

Committee
Chair

Archives
Shannon Crossland
Texas Tech University

Awards
Denise Welch
Panola College

Boot Camp
Jan Terry-Sanchez
Eastern New Mexico University - Portales

Annual Conference
Emily Patterson
University of Arkansas - Fayetteville

Corporate Relations
Craig Poleman
Inceptia

Electronic Initiatives
Erika Cox
University of Texas - San Antonio

Finance
Lauren Jackson
Northwestern State University

Local Arrangements
Amy Neathery
Arkansas Student Loan Authority

Long Range Planning
Taina Savoit
McNeese State University

Membership
Denise Welch
Panola College

Mid-Level Training
Jason Marrujo
Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences

Nominations & Elections
Denise Welch
Panola College

Site Selection
Tricia Dubroc
Louisiana Education Loan Authority

Training & Continuing Education
Melanie Rinehart
Seminole State College

During our introductions, it was interesting that several had started their journey working as a student worker in the financial aid office.  So many different backgrounds and journeys taken; however, we have one common goal:  helping students.

The SWASFAA Board approved the implementation of a Diversity Awareness Task Force.  This task force would put in motion the implementation of a committee for SWASFAA focused on Diversity Awareness in 2019.  The committee would be responsible for determining the role and responsibility of Diversity Awareness as it relates to SWASFAA.

SWASFAA Diversity Awareness Task Force

               Chair: Cecelia Jones, Jarvis Christian College
               Task Force Members:

               Arkansas - Pending
               New Mexico - Pending
               Louisiana - Jasheika Dennis, Southern University at Shreveport
               Oklahoma - Cornelia Bass, University of Oklahoma
               Texas - Erika Cox, University of Texas at San Antonio

               Task Force Charge:

               The Chair will be responsible for coordinating volunteers for the remaining open task force member representation positions.
               The Chair will provide a progress report of task force activities to the President for the SWASFAA April Board of Directors Meeting.
               The Chair will provide a progress report of task force activities to date for the SWASFAA July Board of Directors conference call.
               The Chair will provide a progress report of task force activities to date for the SWASFAA September Board of Directors conference call.
               The Chair will provide to the SWASFAA Board of Directors the Diversity Awareness Committee Proposal (Purpose, Duties, Membership, Tenure and Qualifications) for review and approval.

Upcoming SWASFAA Events and State Conferences:

OASFAA Annual Conference, Reed Conference Center, Midwest City, OK

April 11th - April 13th

SWASFAA Board of Directors Meeting, Doubletree Arlington DFW South, Arlington, TX

April 16th - April 17th

SWASFAA Mid-Level Training, Doubletree Arlington DFW South, Arlington, TX

April 17th - April 18th

NMASFAA Annual Conference, Courtyard Marriott, Farmington, NM

April 25th - April 27th

SWASFAA Boot Camp and Annual Conference, Doubletree Little Rock, Little Rock, AR

November 5th -9th

Thank you for all you do for SWASFAA,

Shannon Crossland

SWASFAA President 2018

You may view the latest post at
https://swasfaa.org/b/general/swasfaa-friends-february-journey-update/

Jason Marrujo, M.S.
Manager, Financial Aid and Scholarships
Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences
College of Osteopathic Medicine
1111 West 17th Street
Tulsa, OK  74107-2705