[Oasfaa] FAFSA nights for high schools

Justin Streater jstreate at cameron.edu
Tue Oct 8 08:02:38 CDT 2019

Good morning,

I do a variety of different things.  I will offer several FAFSA events on campus in our computer labs.  Sometimes I will run these during the day if I can have a team member step away that long, possibly a student worker will help facilitate or I will even handle it myself.  For instance we have an all-day FAFSA session tomorrow and Thursday here on campus. This is open to both on and off campus students and anyone from the community.  We make sure to post it on social media and share with all of our local school counselors.

In regards to the FAFSA events at schools.  We try to collaborate with admissions so that we are in attendance with them if possible.  We will sometimes offer a presentation and then FAFSA assistance for a couple of hours.  We will go out and just do a FAFSA event only, where we just offer up our time for a couple of hours to help. We don’t do one-on-ones because that is too time consuming.  We will have them all in one room and we will walk around and answer questions as need be.   We typically start with FSAID or request that students/parents complete those before attending the event.  We share this with the school counselors to at least get that part of the process out of the way before we arrive.  We  tell students a lot of times they can just come in and use the computers in our lobby area and we will answer questions if they need us.

I’ve found offering a FAFSA event/workshop between 3 and 5 sometimes helps too. This way it’s still during business hours, school is out and they can come to campus.

I do offer one-on-one FAFSA assistance in my office by appointment.  I’m also a big believer of sharing my cell phone information on my business card. I answer questions regarding FAFSA/financial aid via text, email and phone call also.

Thanks,

Justin W. Streater, M.Ed. | Director
Office of Student Financial Services
o:  580.581.2221 | f:  580.581.2556 | c: 719.281.4220

[cid:image001.png at 01D50BC3.50536AB0]

--This electronic mail transmission ("EMT") and any attached documents may contain confidential and privileged information.  Such information is intended solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom this EMT was intended to be sent.  Any printing, disclosure, reproduction, distribution or taking of action based on the information herein by other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited.  If you believe you have received this EMT in error, please notify me <mailto:jstreate at cameron.edu>  and delete this e-mail from your system.