[Oasfaa] FW: CARES Act conversation from SWASFAA

Melanie Rinehart M.Rinehart at sscok.edu
Wed Apr 22 15:14:39 CDT 2020

I hope this finds you all doing as well as can be expected under the circumstances we are all dealing with. I don't know about you all, but it's been rather difficult for me to wrap my mind around all the complexities we're facing. Between student and campus issues that we're trying to sort out daily, wrinkles regarding working from home, what seems like a greater influx of emails over the usual amount, add to that the additional questions ED managed to generate, rather than answer, with yesterday's call and FAQs, I'm struggling.

But that reminds me why our community is so important. In the last week or two, I've been a part of several email threads that basically boil down to "what are you going to do about..." or "have you thought about..." In my opinion, NASFAA staff is doing the best job they are able with the guidance ED has provided, but we also need our smaller, more local voices as well to help each other through this. So, while none of us have the answer to any of this, many members of the SWASFAA Board met via Zoom on Monday, the 20th. We discussed several things, and while many of those were either answered, or in some cases, thrown into a tailspin by yesterday's ED updates, I have compiled the list of the items we talked about. That list is attached. Maybe you'll either pull out a nugget of something to use at your campus, or maybe you'll simply feel less alone in all this.

While I've had enough of Zoom to last me the rest of my life, just seeing some of my SWASFAA friends brightened my day. We really are a community intended to support one another, so don't forget that. Please consider using this Google Group as one of your forums for discussion. We need each other more than ever!

If you have any suggestions for how SWASFAA can assist you through any of this, please don't hesitate to make a suggestion!

Thank you, and stay safe and healthy!

Mendy Schmerer
SWASFAA President, 2020