[Oasfaa] Dependency Question

Tirzah G. Knight tknight at okwu.edu
Mon Jan 24 17:33:11 CST 2022

Good evening,

I had a mom call asking about moving her son to an independent status. He is working through the disability process, and his SSI representative advised them to change his FAFSA info to at-risk of homelessness. Mom indicated that he would always have home with them, and they obviously have contact.

Am I missing any regulations that would allow for a PJ to move a student to an independent designation? I don't think this is a situation in which case this would qualify, but I wanted to double check before telling her to not make any FAFSA changes that would be misleading.

Sincerely,

Tirzah Knight
Student Services Office
Director of Financial Aid
o: 918.335.6252  |  f: 918.335.6252

Oklahoma Wesleyan University
2201 Silver Lake Road, Bartlesville, OK 74006
okwu.edu<http://www.okwu.edu/>

OKWU Eagles Reminders:

  *   Complete your 22-23 FAFSA<StudentAid.gov>
  *   Review your aid offer & missing docs in the FA portal<FinAidApply.okwu.edu>
  *   Send us your documents by taking a picture and using OKWU Upload<https://www.okwu.edu/upload/>. We cannot accept emailed documents.
  *   Financial Aid FAQs<https://www.okwu.edu/admissions/financial-aid/faq/>
  *   Need more help? Send me an email, and I am happy to call, Zoom, or text.