[Oasfaa] Higher Education Program and Activity survey

Schmerer, Mendy M. (HSC) Mendy-Schmerer at ouhsc.edu
Thu Mar 2 15:20:07 CST 2023

To all my state school friends:

Who all is completing question #3 on the Higher Education Program and Activity survey? I only received it today, and am wrestling with a number of things as I try to catch up and get it turned back in to my admin.

How much projected federal financial aid (work-study, PELL, etc.) has been forfeited as a result of students not completing the FAFSA?

  1.  How on earth are we supposed to project ANYTHING about a population of students for whom we have no information?!

  1.  The question asks about students who didn't complete the FAFSA. Does that mean didn't submit at all? Or, do we also include those who submitted, but didn't confirm eligibility, and thereby didn't complete the entire FAFSA process, because they didn't resolve conflicting information or comment codes?

  1.  If you figured out a method that makes any sense at all, are you willing to share it? I'm really curious about the thought process.

  1.  Are you including loans as well? The examples cited are only FWS and Pell. My Pell population is already small, much less the population who might receive a Pell, if only they'd submitted a FAFSA.

  1.  Does anyone know the context of this? I called Sheri Mauk, and evidently one of the college's presidents made a remark to the Regents about "aid left on the table," by those who didn't complete their FAFSA at their institution. Now the Regents want a comparable figure from all of us. Is the goal trying to arrive at the free aid not taken advantage of? Or is it aid to assist in paying for school, in total? In that case, loans would be important to know. I didn't think ask her that, but I'm happy to call her back.

When I spoke to Sheri, she said that she'd suggested, to one of the institutional folks she talked to, taking the average amount of aid used/taken by students who did submit their FAFSAs, then extrapolate that out to arrive at a total figure for the students who didn't submit a FAFSA.

For me, I suppose I'm going to go with Sheri's line of thought and find the average amount of aid for students who did benefit, then multiply that by the number of students who were enrolled but for whom I don't have Official EFC on an ISIR, or no ISIR at all. In the notes, however, I'm going to provide an average amount of grant aid and a separate average amount of loan funds. I think.

I realize that we aren't comparing one institution with another, or anything remotely like that, but I am curious how you all are tackling this with your populations. With the lack of clarity in the question, I have a feeling this is going to be like one of those painting classes where we all look at the same example picture, but when we work to create our own versions, we're strikingly different in our individual approaches. And none will be wrong, per se, just really different.

Thanks!

Mendy Schmerer, MEd, FAAC(r)
Director, Office of Student Financial Aid | SWASFAA President, 2020 - 2021
865 University Research Park, Suite 240 | Oklahoma City, OK  73104
O (405) 271-2118, x 48817 | F (405) 271-5446
Mendy-Schmerer at ouhsc.edu<mailto:Mendy-Schmerer at ouhsc.edu>
https://financialservices.ouhsc.edu/Student-Financial-Aid

[FAAC_logo_101520]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This email, including any attachments, contains information from The University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, which may be confidential or privileged.  The information is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this information is prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by a "reply to sender only" message and destroy all electronic and hard copies of the communication, including attachments.