[Oasfaa] Doxie Derby is Sept 22!

Mc Conahay, Pamela K pmcconahay at ou.edu
Sun Sep 9 16:56:20 CDT 2001

Yes, it's that time of year again....The Second Chance Animal
Sanctuary is hosting their annual "Dog Day" on September 22, 2001
at Reaves Park in Norman.   For more info about the Second Chance
Animal Sanctuary, visit their web page at www.secondchanceok.com

 "Dog Day" begins at 10:00 a.m., with  the "dog competition events"
beginning at 10:30.  The events include the opening Mad Dash, the Doxie
Derby,
 the Championship Frisbee Contest, Muttliest Mutt, Fastest Tail Wag in the
West,
Best Pet Trick, Goofiest Ears, Best Puppy Dog Eyes, etc.  The Doxie Derby is

usually at 12 noon, but I'll double check that time & let you know if
it's changed.

In order to participate in any event, owners must show proof of
a current rabies vaccination (or purchase one at Dog Day, vets
will be available for vaccinations).  Pet owners are encouraged to
pre-register by Sept 20, or on the day of the event starting at 10:00 a.m.
Entry fees for each event range from $5 to $7.

If you haven't seen one before, the Doxie Derby is an elimination race of
dachshunds & dachshund mixes.    They run elimination heats until we get
down to just 3 dogs to determine the wiener..er, winner.  Twinkie Ratliff,
the Fastest Wiener in Weatherford in her custom fit blue racing silks,
has won for the last 2 years and has been training hard for a three-peat.

Directions:	If you are familiar with Norman, Reaves Park is on the east
side
of Jenkins Avenue, north of Lloyd Noble Center, south of the Stadium.    If
you are not familiar with Norman, I suggest you approach town on I-35, take
the Highway 9 EAST turnoff .  There is a stop light on Highway 9 at Jenkins
Avenue.  Turn north.  Continue north past Lloyd Noble Center, the park will
be on your RIGHT.  If you reach the stadium....turn around & come back
south,
you missed it.    If you get really lost on your way to Norman, my home
phone # is (405) 364-1592.  If you can't remember my number, I'm in the
book.  If you can't spell McConahay, you're not as smart as I thought you
were.

A few caveats:
1.	If you don't like dogs, don't come.   Trust me, you'd be in the
wrong
crowd.
2.	Be prepared to be slobbered on.
3.	Second Chance Animal Sanctuary also has an adoption event associated
with
this, so if you bring the kids, be prepared to listen to begging for a dog.
4.	Wear sunglasses.  I'll be wearing shorts & my legs are REALLY pale.
5.	There will be watering stations for dogs, so unless your dog only
drinks
Perrier, you don't have to lug a water bottle for him.
6.	There will be t-shirts for sale, face painting for the kids.  And,
there
will be hot dogs, hamburgers, soft-drinks for sale.  There are picnic tables
if you would prefer to bring a family picnic with you.    Cameras &
videocameras are encouraged.
7.	Watch where you walk.  Why?  Because dogs can't flush!

Pam McConahay
Asst Dir., Compliance & Support Svcs
University of Oklahoma Financial Aid Services
731 Elm, Rm 125, Norman OK 73019-2111
(405) 325-4617, fax (405) 325-7608
pmcconahay at ou.edu