[Oasfaa] FED.UP Initiative's top most requested issues

Mowdy, Mary mmowdy at ogslp.org
Fri Nov 9 16:09:38 CST 2001

		As promised at the Federal Update session at OASFAA, Brett
Lief  has sent us a list of schools' most-named issues needing attention in
the effort to reduce the burden of current regulations.   Keep in mind,
these are simply the topics.  Specific information submitted about each
topic is not included here.  I refer you to the various professional
associations such as NASFAA, American Council on Education and NCHELP who
have submitted lists of issues on behalf of their constituencies for
additional information on some of these topics.  To date, we are unaware of
one single comprehensive listing available of all issues submitted to
Representatives McKeon and Mink.

		These first four were way out ahead of the other requests:

*	Return of Title IV aid

*	12-hour rule requiring that students attend 12 hours of instruction
per week

*	50 percent rule for consideration for distance learning exception

*	Specific questions on the FAFSA

		Today we received a supplemental list of 3 additional items
from Brett that became available now that things are beginning to return to
normal on the hill:

*	Rationalizing satisfactory academic progress

*	Shifting of reporting requirements of postsecondary tax credits

*	Some streamlining of Perkins administration

		Mary Mowdy, Interim Executive Director
		Oklahoma Guaranteed Student Loan Program
		P. O. Box 3000, Oklahoma City, OK 73101-3000
		405/234-4310     800-247-0420
		fax: 405/234-4565        agency fax:  405/234-4390