[Oasfaa] FICA & FWS

Mc Conahay, Pamela K pmcconahay at ou.edu
Thu Jun 27 11:05:21 CDT 2002

Bill,

This isn't an FWS issue, it's a FICA issue.

All your students are treated the same for FICA purposes, it makes no
difference whether they are FWS or not.  Keep in mind that many higher ed
institutions (including OU) have claimed exemption from FICA for their
student employees.  There are SSA rules regarding how their "student status"
is defined and monitored to prove that they are, in fact, students and
eligible for the FICA exemption.  This is more an HR/Personnel issue than a
business office/financial aid office issue.

Pam McConahay
Asst Dir., Compliance & Support Svcs
University of Oklahoma Financial Aid Services
731 Elm, Rm 125, Norman OK 73019-2111
(405) 325-4617, fax (405) 325-7608
pmcconahay at ou.edu