[Oasfaa] Responses

Larry Hollingsworth Larry_Hollingsworth at okbu.edu
Fri Aug 2 10:19:47 CDT 2002

Thanks to all who responded to my inquiry regarding a dependent student applicant who got married and will be having a baby during the school year. Two respondents say yes to independent now, two respondents say yes once baby is born and one resondent says maybe. If anyone else wants to comment, please reply. Responses received are as follows:

An applicant who's unborn child will be born before the end of the award year can answer yes to this question, "Do you have children who receive more than half of their support from you?"

Reference - Application and Verification Guide   page number AVG26

According to the 2001-2002 Verification Guide, page 26, "An applicant whose unborn chold will be born before the end of the award year can answer 'Yes'" to question 55

I don't think he has an independent change in his status until the baby is actually born, since he has filed as dependent.  I think he does become independent, but I would use PJ to make him so.  Unusual circumstances after filing.

He will definitely be independent once the child is born, because the student is required to update dependency status if it is because of something other than a change in marital status.  The gray area is in the interim.  I do not know of any reference that specifically addresses a child-to-be, but have long seen FAOs treat single pregnant students as independents on the basis of the expected child, when the student would otherwise be considered dependent.

I'd say no, because he won't have provided GT 50% support during the 2002 calendar year. If you look at the academic year, maybe, depending on when the child is born. Just my opinion.