[Oasfaa] Verifying a student who's parents are non citizens

Mc Conahay, Pamela K pmcconahay at ou.edu
Mon Aug 5 07:55:02 CDT 2002

Sherry,

I want to be sure that folks don't misunderstand your comment and think that
a parent residing in another country automatically means they are
unavailable.

Page 42 of the 2001-2002 Verification Guide says the parents are considered
unavailable if "they are residing in a country other than the United States
and CANNOT BE CONTACTED BY NORMAL MEANS."   Just the fax machine isn't
working doesn't mean a parent in Jordan can't be contacted....there's still
Fed Ex and snail mail available.  Now, if this student is the child of
Bedouins who are out roaming the desert and no one knows when or where
they'll come back into town, I understand using the exception.  (Hey, I know
it's stereotypical, I'm having a Lawrence of Arabia moment here, work with
me.)

I always reserved this exception for places where contact with the U.S. was
prohibited (back in the old days in Vietnam), or where there was so much
civil strife that communication in or out of the country was
unreliable(i.e., Sierra Leone now) or in a culture that had little or no
communication with the outside world (i.e. Bedouins).

Pam McConahay
Asst. Director, Compliance & Support Services
University of Oklahoma Financial Aid Services
731 Elm, Rm 125 Norman OK 73019-2111
(405) 325-4617  Fax (405) 325-7608
pmcconahay at ou.edu