[Oasfaa] Smart Start Program Moves to OGSLP!

Mowdy, Mary mmowdy at ogslp.org
Fri Aug 30 16:16:17 CDT 2002

Greetings!

I hope your fall enrollment and financial aid processes are going very well and that you are all going to get some rest and relaxation over the three-day weekend!

I wanted to let you know that the Smart Start program, a community service program which is part of the Oklahoma State Regents' Brain Gain 2010 initiative and also supported by AmeriCorps, joined the OGSLP family recently.  OGSLP will assist in providing resources for the continued success of the Smart Start program, guided by its enthusiastic coordinator, Ms. Jamie Lindsey.

With a direct link to loan repayment options and to default prevention efforts, the Smart Start program offers a unique opportunity for participants to earn AmeriCorps Education Awards that can be applied to qualified Stafford or Perkins loans -  or to current or future college costs!   More importantly, Smart Start members receive the priceless opportunity of helping another person learn by serving as a mentor or tutor and thereby engaging in meaningful community service.  Participants have reported that they experience personal fulfillment and satisfaction while they build networking relationships, develop resumes, gain important work experience and enhance both the current and future quality of life in the community in which they volunteer.

I hope you will contact Jamie Lindsey for more information about how this community service program can be put into use or expanded on your campus!

She can be reached at 405-234-4495, 405-225-9195, or jlindsey at osrhe.edu

Mary Mowdy,  Executive Director
Oklahoma Guaranteed Student Loan Program
P. O. Box 3000, Oklahoma City, OK 73101-3000
405/234-4310     800-247-0420
fax: 405/234-4565