[Oasfaa] How do you award work-study

Missi Bryant Missi.Bryant at oc.edu
Fri Sep 20 14:59:38 CDT 2002

I am interested in finding out how others award work-study and administer the program.  We have tried a couple of different methods and have had problems with each.

*	Do you assign jobs?  If so, is this done through the financial aid office or a career center?  This is the way we used to do it and the students and supervisor's were never happy because the skill set was not a good match among other things.

*	Do you award work-study to anyone who requests it and is eligible?  This is the way do it now.  Though we do tell the students it is not a guarantee and tell them we award more money than we have jobs, parents still come up mad when they can't find a job and were counting on it.

*	Do you award work-study to anyone who requests it and is eligible and put a deadline on it?  This would seem to be the ideal method.  The problem we have with this is supervisor's often want to hire the same students they had from previous years and if a student (for any number of reasons) does not get their paperwork done on time, adjustments would have to be made to their federal funding, etc.

*	Other ideas????

Thanks in advance for your input.

Missi Bryant
Director Student Financial Services