[Oasfaa] IMPORTANT: PLease Respond: Spring 2003 NASFAA Workshop Series

Mc Conahay, Pamela K pmcconahay at ou.edu
Sat Nov 9 16:40:30 CST 2002

NASFAA has asked states to advise whether states intend to offer the Spring
2003 Workshop Series.    Unlike the Fall workshop series, OASFAA has not
always offered the Spring series & even when it is offered, we haven't
necessarily offered all the modules or had it as a separate function.  You
may remember the Spring 2001 FERPA general session by Thomas Ratliff---that
was a NASFAA spring training module.  It was transparent to you because
OASFAA absorbed the cost of the materials.

What we do know is OASFAA can't afford to buy the materials and distribute
them at no cost to the membership.  We also know schools have budget issues
as well (that's the understatement of the century).  So, we're looking at
possibly offering ONE module as either a pre-conference session or an
interest/general session at the Spring 2003 conference IF there is
sufficient interest from the membership.

PLEASE BE AS REALISTIC AS POSSIBLE REGARDING THE LIKELIHOOD THAT YOU WOULD
ATTEND THIS TRAINING. We have to commit to buying a specific number of sets
of materials from NASFAA right NOW.  Obviously, we don't want to get stuck
with a lot of extra sets of materials.

1.  If OASFAA offers one of the workshop modules as a session at the Spring
2003 conference, which do you prefer?  Remember, PICK ONLY ONE.

	_____   Federal Work-Study Community Service:  How to Refine a
Program
		The training will review the community service regulations
and requirements and discuss America Reads and Tutors, Proper use of Job
Location & Development funds, Suggestions/alternatives on how to expand your
community service program and meet minimum requirements, Under use of
allocation, Implications for institutional personnel and administration of
community service programs, Model off-campus agreements.

	_____   When Title IV Aid Isn't Enough:  Debt Strategies, Options &
Implications:
		Includes discussions of strategies for evaluating different
types of alternative loans, debt management strategies, credit cards, loan
consolidation, gap financing and credit scoring.  The module will discuss
innovative ways to get stuents to listen and motivate them to take interest
in loan burden.  Consumer debt information and loan consolidation will be
reviewed.  The module will explore ways to make debt counseling "more
academic" in forcus and/or to make the topic seem more like an academic
requirement. The module will be applicable for undergraduate and graduate
student debt management.

	_____	Consortium Agreements
		This module will review consortium agreement requirements.
The module will discuss study abroad issues and implications with National
Student Exchange programs.  Cooperative Agreements will be explored.  SSCR
reporting for study abroad and students on consortium will be addressed.
Contracts will not be discussed in this module.

	_____ 	NONE    I prefer that OASFAA not offer any of the 3
available modules for Spring 2003.

2.  If a module is offered, would you prefer the training:

	_______	As a preconference session on Wednesday morning before the
conference starts.
			(Participants would be charged at least $15 for
materials)

	_______	As an interest or general session during the conference.
			(The cost of providing materials would be passed on
to all conference attendees as a part of the conference
registration fee and would probably cause the current fee to be raised.)

PLEASE RESPOND TO ME NO LATER THAN TUESDAY, NOV 12.    We have to determine
our course of action & respond to NASFAA by Thursday.      Thanks for your
help!

Pam McConahay
Asst. Dir., Compliance, Training & Lender Relations
University of Oklahoma Financial Aid Services
731 Elm, Rm 125 Norman OK 73019-2111
(405) 325-4617  Fax (405) 325-7608
pmcconahay at ou.edu