[OKAIRP] UCO Lean Seminars on Transactional Change

KHenderson at ucok.edu KHenderson at ucok.edu
Wed Jan 10 17:46:40 CST 2007

Due to a conflict with a state-wide event, the April seminar has been
moved to April 12.  The website and registration form is now available via
the internet.

Please share this e-mail with others interested in Lean Enterprise.  Mail
registration forms to Karen Henderson, Process Improvement.

Karen Henderson
Assistant Director, Process Improvement
University of Central Oklahoma
Lillard Administration Building, Room 218 (Box 178)
Edmond, OK  73034
(405) 974-2540
khenderson at ucok.edu

**CONFIDENTIALITY** This email (including any attachments) may contain
confidential, proprietary and privileged information, any unauthorized
disclosure or use is prohibited. If you received this email in error,
please notify the sender and delete this email from your system.  Thank
you.
----- Forwarded by Karen Henderson/OBAF/UCO on 01/10/2007 05:09 PM -----

Karen Henderson/OBAF/UCO
01/08/2007 10:58 AM

khenderson at ucok.edu
cc
Mark Moore/OBAF/UCO at UCO, Steve Kreidler/VPAdmin/UCO at UCO,
Mark.Nash at argentglobal.com
Subject
Fw: UCO Lean Seminars on Transactional Change

Dear Colleague,

During the past three years, the University of Central Oklahoma (UCO) has
improved our services in an effort to sustain our viability.  We recognize
that the funding paradigm we have operated under for many decades is gone.
 One solution that we have used to assist our administrative support
staff, faculty and students in this journey to viability is the strategic
improvement methodology referred to as “Lean”.

If you are struggling in a similar fashion, then you understand the
challenges that we have been facing.  Choosing the correct continuous
improvement methodology may be the most difficult decision any of us can
make.  Has your campus considered TQM, CQI, Six Sigma, or Lean?

Our campus has benefited from the use of the transactional process
improvement tools contained within Lean.  In 2004 our Facilities
Management department had over 3000 open work orders and average time to
initial contact exceeded three months.  Applying Lean principles, the
average number of work orders today is 500 with initial contact made
within one day.  Lean principles were applied to the Financial Aid
department resulting in the formation of a Call Center.  Previously, staff
members assisting students in the office were interrupted to address what
were often routine questions or questions that needed to be routed to
another staff member.  During the peak time the Call Center responds to
600 calls per day, freeing-up the front-line staff to assist students in
the office.

To help others benefit from our experience, the University of Central
Oklahoma is sponsoring seminars on “Using Lean Principles for
Transactional Change.”  Two seminars are being offered that illustrate the
effectiveness of this strategic methodology.  While the April seminar is
intended for project managers and facilitators, the February seminar
provides an introduction to Lean principles for both facilitators and
decision-makers. Participants will experience the impact of Lean
improvement on higher education processes.

        February 15, 2007
        8:30 - 4:30, UCO Nigh University Center Ballroom
        > Executive leadership, project managers, and facilitators
        > Introduction to Lean Enterprise
        > Real-life case studies

        April 12, 2007
        8:30 - 4:30, UCO Nigh University Center Ballroom
        > Project managers and facilitators
        > Training on Lean Enterprise fundamentals

Don’t miss this opportunity to learn about Lean tools used to assess
processes and ultimately reduce waste.  The registration fee is only $49,
however, if your organization brings three or more to a conference the
registration fee is reduced to $34 per person.  Go to
www.administration.ucok.edu/ucocsi for registration information.

Sincerely,

Steve Kreidler
Executive Vice President

http://administration.ucok.edu/ucocsi/documents/csi_brochure.pdf

Karen Henderson
Assistant Director, Process Improvement
University of Central Oklahoma
Center for Strategic Improvement
Lillard Administration Building, Room 218 (Box 178)
Edmond, OK  73034
Voice:  (405) 974-2540
Fax:  (405) 974-3875