[OKAIRP] CIRP Freshman Survey

Cal Easterling ceasterling at oru.edu
Fri May 21 14:33:56 CDT 2010

Dr. Stewart,

We do use this survey, as well as Your First College Year, the College Senior Survey, NSSE, and the Student Satisfaction Survey. We have used the CIRP for quite some time, though not every year. The CIRP Freshman Survey collects data regarding student demographics, parents’ demographics, student self-rated abilities, interests, opinions, activities, academic experience, future major, career goals, and educational financing.There will be a HERI users' group at AIR in Chicago. We are planning to administer it to incoming first-year students during "Harbor" (our freshman orientation event) in August. We  also did it in 2006, 2002, and all the way back to 1974.

In the past, we have found out such helpful information as:

87.2% stated that ORU was their first choice. The top three reasons they gave for attending ORU were: (1) financial assistance at ORU, (2) ORU graduates get good jobs, and (3) ORU’s good academic reputation. The ORU freshmen surveyed tended to expend less time studying and more time surfing the net than the national average. They also tended to value to a greater extent than the national average such items as finding their purpose, being honest in relationships, and believing in the sacredness of life. More of the ORU freshmen rated themselves "above average" in intellectual and social confidence, self-understanding, and spirituality than the national average. They rated themselves lower than the national average in artistic and computer skills.

It can be an important part of your continuous improvement program IF you intentionally endeavor to identify areas of challenge, implement real actions plans to address them, and them follow up by holding individuals responsible.

Have a happy day

Cal Easterling, Ph.D.
Institutional Research
Oral Roberts University
(918)495-6538
http://ir.oru.edu
http://ePortfolio.oru.edu
ceasterling at oru.edu
!
>>> "Stewart, Sheilynda" <sstewart at ecok.edu> 5/21/2010 9:27 AM >>>

All,

    I was wondering if any of you have administered the Cooperative Institutional Research Program (CIRP) freshmen survey at your institution?  If so, what are your thoughts about this particular instrument?

Thank you for your comments!

Sheilynda Stewart
Sheilynda Stewart, Ph.D.
Director of Institutional Research
East Central University
1100 E. 14th Street
Ada, Oklahoma  74820-6999
Phone:  580-559-5668
email:  sstewart at ecok.edu

Confidentiality Notice: This e­mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e­mail and destroy all copies of the original message.