[Okepas] FW: Scam Alert

Brown, Cynthia cbrown at osrhe.edu
Tue Dec 19 13:18:59 CST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: Brown, Cynthia
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2006 2:46 PM
To: 'Judy.Trice at act.org'; Higdon, Matt; Lousch, Cari

Please let your students/parents/community know about this.
Cindy

All,

Just wanted to alert you to a disturbing situation in Oklahoma.

This is an excerpt from an e-mail sent internally by Karen Pennell:

I got a call this AM from the principal of Sand Springs HS in the Tulsa
area.  The mother of one of his students received a call from a scam
artist
saying that he was representing ACT, he knew her daughter's name, high
school, and that she was probably going to take the ACT in April.  The
scam
artist said that ACT was concerned that all students be prepared and he
was
going to send an ACT preparation kit to the daughter (for ONLY $109 but
he
needed the mothers credit card number to send her the ACT preparation
kit).
The mother said that she would have to call him back because her husband
usually took care of all of the finances!  The scam artist then just
hung
up.

The mother called the principal of Sand Springs H.S. to see if ACT was
really calling students and selling ACT preparation kits.  That is when
he
called me to ask.  I told him that ACT would never call individual
students
and then ask for credit cards.  The principal was being interviewed by
one
of the Tulsa televisions stations so he wanted to make sure that ACT was
not involved.  I told him that we were NOT.

You may end up hearing/seeing this on the news in your state.  If you
receive any calls, please assure the callers that ACT does NOT call and
attempt to sell products to parents or students, nor would anyone from
ACT
EVER call and ask for credit card information.

Our folks in Iowa City are aware of the problem and are looking into it.

Thanks,
Judy

Judy Trice
Consultant, Middle and Secondary School Services
Southwest Region, ACT, Inc.
Phone: 512-345-1949
Fax: 512-345-2997
e-mail: judy.trice at act.org