[OkStudentPrep] Juneteenth Celebration and Youth Art Contest

Nelson, Lisa lnelson at osrhe.edu
Mon May 13 15:55:05 CDT 2019

The Dunbar Heights community in Shawnee, Oklahoma and the Citizen Potawatomi Nation are thrilled to co-host a Juneteenth<https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/juneteenth-our-other-independence-day-16340952/> celebration on Saturday, June 8 at FireLake Arena<http://www.firelakearena.com/>. The event, which will be free and open to the public, will include a gospel jubilee, step show, employment workshops, petting zoo and inflatables for children, college and career fair, and food trucks. The theme of the event is Celebrating our Freedom through Education and Economic Empowerment. We would love your help in promoting our event. Attached, you will find the flyer, and we have social media accounts on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter under the name JuneteenthOK.

A highlight of the event for youth will be an art and essay competition for students to answer the prompt: What does Juneteenth mean to me?. We hope this will encourage students to share their Juneteenth experiences and/or learn more about the history behind the holiday. For grades K-8, we are asking students to create visual art of any medium; selected art work will be displayed at the Juneteenth event. For grades 9-12, we would like to students to write either a five-paragraph essay or a one-page poem; selected students will be asked to read their work aloud at the Juneteenth event. Winners will be selected from each age group (K-3, 4-8, and 9-12) and will receive cash prizes. The deadline to submit student work will be Wednesday, May 29. Please help us circulate this opportunity among your students.

Feel free to contact me with any questions!

All best,

TESIA ZIENTEK, M.A. ​| DIRECTOR
Address: 1601 S. Gordon Cooper Drive ​| Shawnee, OK 74801
Office: 405-275-3121 ​| Cell: 405-650-0524  ​|  Email: tesia.zientek at potawatomi.org<mailto:tesia.zientek at potawatomi.org>

[EduSig (002)]

To apply for a new CPN Tribal Scholarship, click here!<portal.potawatomi.org>