[Okfdc] 2008 Oklahoma Higher Education Teaching and Learning Conference Call for Proposals and Registration

James "Jym" Brittain brittaij at nsuok.edu
Mon Sep 24 13:12:20 CDT 2007

Call for Proposals and Registration

You are invited to participate in the 2008 Oklahoma Higher Education
Teaching and Learning Conference. The conference will take place April 10
and 11, 2008 on the beautiful Tahlequah campus of Northeastern State
University. Join faculty-scholars who will discuss teaching and learning
topics ranging from using technology to cooperative learning. Opportunities
to meet and talk to the presenters are provided throughout the conference.
Join us as we celebrate innovative educators from Oklahoma Higher Education
institutions.

Our theme this year is Teaching 360°. This theme is broad enough to cover
topics such as:

·         Where does learning take place? - Service Learning, Distance
Learning, Mobile Learning, and Classroom Based Learning

·         How do we know learning has taken place? - Instructional Design,
Effective Teaching and Assessment

·         How do we improve teaching? - Scholarship of Teaching and
Learning, Professional Development and Issues impacting the professoriate

We are proud to announce our Plenary Speakers for the 2008 conference:

Dr. Ken Bain, Vice Provost for Instruction, Professor of History, and
Director of the Teaching and Learning Resource Center at Montclair State
University and author of the groundbreaking book "What the Best College
Teachers Do" will be a featured speaker at the 2008 Oklahoma Higher
Education Teaching and Learning Conference.

Dr. Barbara Millis, Director of the University of Nevada - Reno Excellence
in Teaching Program, will present a plenary session titled Using Classroom
Assessment Techniques (CATs) to Promote Student Learning

New This Year!

·         Expanded Format
We are expanding the conference from a single day event to two days. This
will allow for more meaningful sessions, additional highlighted speakers,
poster sessions, more networking time and educational excursions.

·         Graduate Student Poster Sessions
Graduate Students enrolled in higher education institutions in Oklahoma are
encouraged to present research in the any of our conference theme areas in
the form of poster sessions.

·         Pre-conference Workshops
We have arranged for the use of classrooms and computer labs for presenters
to give 60 minute, 90 minute, or three hour workshops to conference
attendees before the conference kicks off. Workshop descriptions and titles
will be published in early January.

·         Educational excursions for conference participants.
You have the opportunity to attend a theatrical production titled The Souls
of Our Feet: A Celebration of American Tap Dance after conference activities
wind down on April 10.

Additionally, we have arranged a special tour of the Cherokee Heritage
Center, an agency of the Cherokee Nation, to experience Cherokee history and
culture. This excursion is on April 11th after the closure of the
conference. There is a modest additional fee to participate.

Register early to ensure your opportunity to participate in these
activities. Please visit http://www.teachingconference.org
<http://www.teachingconference.org/>  for additional information, to submit
a proposal and to register for this exciting event.

Warm Regards,
Jym

cid:image001.jpg at 01C70705.D2AF4040

James “Jym” Brittain
Director, Center for Teaching and Learning
Faculty member, College of Education
Northeastern State University
600 North Grand Ave., NET 618
Tahlequah, OK 74464