[Cobo] (no subject)

Elizabeth A Matoy upsxxam at okstate.edu
Wed Jan 15 09:15:42 CST 2003

Bruce, I have answered your questions below.

1)  Do you allow comp time to accrue instead of paid overtime for support
staff??
Yes

2)  How many hours can be accumulated?
Under the Fair Labor Standards Act, an employee can accumulate a maximum
of 240 hours.

3)  How long can the employee save those hours before they have to be
used?  or will they be lost?
The hours can be saved indefinitely.  Any amounts over the 240 max must be
paid immediately.  The hours are a liability and must be paid at
separation, if not before.  The advantage of paying sooner rather than
later is that the cost of the hours may be less (hoping we have wage
increases at some point in the future).  Since only non-exempt employees
are subject to overtime and the possibility of comp time, we pay out comp
time if an individual is reclassified from a non-exempt to an exempt
position.

If I can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Anne Matoy, SPHR
Assistant Vice President
Oklahoma State University
Human Resources