[Coil-l] Thanks for the heads-up, Tamie

Tamie Willis tamie.willis at oc.edu
Thu Jan 14 16:25:02 CST 2016

Helen asked if I would share the name of the book that our librarians are
discussing this semester so here it is...

*Rethinking reference for academic libraries : innovative developments and
future trends (2015)*

Carrie *Forbes*;  Jennifer *Bowers*
*Contents:* Introduction : Reimagining reference and research services for
the twenty-first-century academic library / Jennifer Bowers and Carrie
Forbes -- Part I. Collaboration: partnerships for lifelong learning : Step
away from the desk: re-casting the reference librarian as academic partner
/ Michael Courtney and Angela Courtney -- The scholarly commons: emerging
research services for graduate students and faculty / Merinda Kaye Hensley
-- Part II. Diversity: meeting the information needs of a changing
demographic : The rainbow connection: reference services for the LGBT
community in academic libraries / Matthew P. Ciszek -- Reference services
in a shifting world: other languages, other services / Valeria E. Molteni
and Eileen K. Bosch -- As needs change, so must we: a case study of
innovative outreach to changing demographics / Li Fu -- Part III.
Technology: reference service beyond the library walls : Roving reference:
taking the library to its users / Zara Wilkinson -- Connecting questions
with answers / Ellie Dworak and Carrie Moore -- Part IV. Assessment: does
reference make a difference? : Transforming reference services: more than
meets the eye / Kawanna Bright, Consuella Askew, and Lori Driver --
Dialogic mapping: evolving reference into an instructional support for
graduate research / Corinne Laverty and Elizabeth A. Lee -- Does the
reference desk still matter?: Assessing the desk paradigm at the University
of Washington Libraries / Deb Raftus and Kathleen Collins -- Part V.
Professional competencies: skills for a new generation : From ready
reference to research conversations: the role of instruction in academic
reference service / Melanie Maksin -- Necessities of librarianship:
competencies for a new generation / Danielle Colbert-Lewis, Jamillah
Scott-Branch, and David Rachlin -- Professional competencies for the
virtual reference librarian: digital literacy, soft skills, and customer
service / Christine Tobias -- Mediating for digital primary source
research: expanding reference services / Peggy Keeran.

*Abstract:* The rapid development of the Web and Web-based technologies has
led to an ongoing redefinition of reference services in academic libraries.
A growing diversity of users and the need and possibility for collaboration
in delivering reference services bring additional pressures for change. At
the same time, there are growing demands for libraries to show
accountability and service value. All of these trends have impacted the
field and will continue to shape reference and research services. And they
have led to a need for increasingly specialized professional competencies
and a literature to support them. In order to reimagine reference service
for twenty-first century learning environments, practitioners will need to
understand several focal areas of emerging reference. In particular,
collaboration with campus partners, diverse student populations,
technological innovations, the need for assessment, and new professional
competencies, present new challenges and opportunities for creating a
twenty-first century learning environment. Librarians must not only
understand, but also embrace these emerging reference practices. This
edited volume, containing five sections and fourteen chapters, reviews the
current state of reference services in academic libraries with an emphasis
on innovative developments and future trends. The main theme that runs
through the book is the urgent need for inventive, imaginative, and
responsive reference and research services. Through literature reviews and
case studies, this book provides professionals with a convenient
compilation of timely issues and models at comparable institutions. As
academic libraries shift from functioning primarily as collections
repositories to serving as key players in discovery and knowledge creation,
value-added services, such as reference, are even more central to libraries'
and universities' changing missions.--Publisher website.

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 4:13 PM, Clements, Helen <helen.clements at okstate.edu

--

Tamie Willis, Library Director

Professor of Library Science