[Eoscstudents] Menu for Tues. Oct. 28\

Rhoda Watkins rwatkins at eosc.edu
Tue Oct 28 09:41:08 CDT 2008

Hi folks,

Brrrr!!!  My computer says it's 29 degrees outside and there was frost
forming on my windshield just a little bit this morning!  Our friends
Zule, LaDonna Howell's right hand girl,  and George Gomez of the
Oklahoma Miner's Training Institute over in Baker Hall are already
discovering that Oklahoma winters are way different than the  Florida
ones they're used to.  The wood stove they're using to heat their home
is already proving to be too small for the job, (and it hasn't even
gotten very cold yet!)  If anyone has or knows someone who has a good
sized one for sale, please let them know before the real cold weather
sets in!  Looking at the extended forecast though, it appears that it
will be getting warmer for the next several days, so maybe they'll have
some time to come up with something that'll keep them from getting
frostbite.

One of our neighbors came up the hill yesterday evening to let me know
that she had just seen a vehicle dump out a bunch of cats at City Lake,
and since someone had already dumped a bunch of kittens on them, her
husband wouldn't let her rescue them.  The first cold night so far and
that's when someone chose to dump their pets out in the middle of
nowhere!  My daughter and I drove over there, and pulled up to the spot
our neighbor told us she had seen them.  We didn't see anything, but I
stopped the car and Destiny opened the door to get out and immediately
there was scurrying in the fallen leaves right next to us.  She
shrieked, jumped back in the car and slammed the door.  Then she
realized it wasn't some big wild monster trying to eat her, but just
hungry cats both big and little.  They were friendly enough so we were
able to catch most of them, five in all,  and take them home to be fed
and bedded down.  We couldn't convince the larger two of  the bunch to
go with us, so when we got the first five home and fed, we went back
with some food for them.  Maybe this evening we can go back and rescue
the last two.  I know we'll have to buy a big bag of cat food today!
Anyone need a cat or a kitten?  We definitely have more than we need,
since we already had too many, but couldn't leave that whole batch of
kitties out there to become coyote food.  Anyone who could do that just
shouldn't even have pets.

If you need a flu shot before Nov. 17 when you can get one on campus,
they will be giving them at the Health Dept. today, so call down there
and check it out.  They say it's important for anyone with respiratory
problems, like asthma, to get one so I'm going to try to get down there
and get mine today.   An ounce of prevention, you know.

Our menu for today includes:
             Meatloaf
             Chicken wraps
             Mashed potatoes and gravy
             Broccoli and cheese casserole
             Black eyed peas
             Corn
             Fried squash
             Hot rolls

And for dessert have some luscious hot Fruit Cobbler.