[Eoscstudents] Menu for Lunch TGI Fri. Sept. 5

Rhoda Watkins rwatkins at eosc.edu
Fri Sep 5 10:01:19 CDT 2008

Hi folks,

Boy, September really snuck up on me.  (That's probably not proper
English, but I'm pretty sure it's proper Okie.)  I am still trying to
write August on things, but the temperature lately makes it a lot easier
to believe it's actually September or even later.  It definitely feels
like time to start rotating the closet and bringing the warmer stuff
forward, hunting out the long sleeves and jackets, and go shoe shopping
for some new Fall/Winter shoes.

I came back to campus yesterday evening with my daughter and her best
friend to the special program on Domestic Violence with guest speaker
Tanya Brown, sister of Nicole Brown (Simpson).  Many of us grownups
remember following that story in the news, with the low speed Bronco
chase and the lengthy, high profile "Trial of the Century"  as if it
were yesterday, but it was kind of a shock to realize that most of our
students were only about 5 years old when it happened.  Tanya stressed
that most abuse begins on a verbal level, and goes through a predictable
pattern, that if not stopped many times does not end without a fatal
resolution.  She told of one woman who was a domestic violence advocate
for women who frequently heard sounds of violence and abuse occurring
from her neighbors, but did not feel she should interfere.  The neighbor
was later killed by her abuser.  At that point, there's no going back to
change what you didn't do to help.  She stated that if you think someone
is being abused, just let them know that you're there for them, ready to
be a friend, someone to talk to and ready to do whatever you can to
help.  It can make all the difference.

Our menu for today includes:
             Pork chops
             Fish sandwich on a bun
             Au gratin potatoes
             Corn
             Macaroni and tomatoes
             Brussels sprouts
             Green beans
             French fries
             Hot rolls

And for dessert, have some luscious Fruit Cobbler.

Have a great weekend,