[Eoscstudents] Oklahoma Senate Bills 256-259

Bryan Denny bdenny at eosc.edu
Thu Apr 18 10:59:53 CDT 2013

CAMPUS SAFETY UPDATE:  Four new laws were signed and made effective immediately yesterday, 04/17/2013, in the Oklahoma Senate.  I am very pleased to state that we, Eastern Oklahoma State College, as part of our ongoing dedication to campus safety have already implemented and practice these rules.  The new laws are listed and explained below:

1.  Oklahoma Senate Bill 256

Schools; requiring school districts to conduct certain drills. (these include lock-downs, fire, and tornado drills, etc.)

2.  Oklahoma Senate Bill 257

Schools; Oklahoma School Security Institute. (OK Dept. of Homeland Security will designate a division for school security)

3.   Oklahoma Senate Bill 258

Schools; emergency response organizations.  (Nov. 1 deadline for higher learning institutions to provide reports to emergency responders of plans for protecting students, faculty, and visitors from disasters and emergencies)

4.  Oklahoma Senate Bill 259

Schools; requiring school authorities to report discovery of firearms.  (school authorities will immediately report to law enforcement if a firearm is discovered on a student that is not a minor or an adult that is not authorized to possess a firearm on school property.

--
 Bryan E. Denny M.S.
COP Director/Criminal Justice Chair/Chief of Police