[Eoscstudents] Monthly Campus Safety Email

Bryan Denny bdenny at eosc.edu
Mon Mar 11 19:25:11 CDT 2013

EOSC Community,

For your safety, Eastern Oklahoma State College has invested in several Cardiac Science AED machines. The Automated External Defibrillator (AED) provides both verbal and text prompts to assist the first responder. In addition, the AED knows when (and when not) to deliver the shock so users do not have to worry about “doing it right.” It is our hope you never need to use the AED machine, but in the event it is needed we want our faculty and staff to be prepared.

Below is a link to the Cardiac Science AED instructional video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=aIGSb1zxGlA

You may have been involved in our full scale, emergency preparedness (active shooter) drill on Feb. 28th at the Wilburton campus. These drills are necessary in order to ensure that our key personnel (police, fire, EMS, building monitors, and administration) are aware of their responsibilities during an emergency situation and know how to properly react. We would like to thank everyone who participated and report that the drill was a success. As with any disaster situation, there are always complications and unfortunately there might even be casualties. Our goal is to learn and grow during our drills to try and minimize injury and damages during an actual event.

Spring Break is upon us and many of our students, faculty and staff will be traveling. Some important things to remember when hitting the road can be found in the links below:

http://www.consumertraveler.com/today/10-vacation-safety-rules-i-learned-by-experience/

http://www.ab.ust.hk/hseo/sftywise/199804/page1.htm

http://www.scottsdaleaz.gov/safety/vacation

There are a number of additional safety precautions you might wish to consider, but these might at least help keep you safe while you’re away. The most important thing is to enjoy your break and return refreshed and ready to learn, work, teach, etc. Have a great spring break and we look forward to seeing you upon your return.

--
 Bryan E. Denny M.S.
COP Director/Criminal Justice Chair/Chief of Police