[Eoscstudents] Tutors Wanted at McAlester High School

Anne Brooks abrooks at eosc.edu
Thu Sep 4 17:22:35 CDT 2014

McAlester Public Schools is looking for college students to hire as tutors for a program called AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination). AVID has existed for 33 years in school districts across the United States (and internationally). AVID is a college readiness system that targets middle and high school students with the academic ability and desire to attend college upon graduation.

 The tutors hired for the program work as tutors and facilitators, but they also serve as role models and cheerleaders for these younger students. AVID is an elective class taken by students in grades 7-10 who are selected for the program. We currently have 4 classes of AVID that serve 80 students. One component of the AVID elective class is 2 days of in class Tutorials. On Tuesday and Thursdays each week, college student tutors work with our AVID students in the elective classes at Puterbaugh and MHS.

If you are interested in submitting an application, please contact Stephanie Holt at 918.423.8181 Ext. 1022,
sholt at mcalester.k12.ok.us
Applicants must submit an application for employment to McAlester Public Schools and agree to a criminal history check prior to employment