[Eoscstudents] Monthly Safety Email

Bryan Denny bdenny at eosc.edu
Tue Sep 27 15:56:17 CDT 2016

Students, Faculty, and Staff,

Every day in the news we see and hear about things happening in our cities
and towns and people seem to be unprepared for the dangers that oftentimes
await them.  The Eastern Campus Police Department does its’ best to be
where the crime happens but even though we may sometimes seem omnipresent,
we are in fact not.  For this reason we feel that it is important that each
of you observe some basic safety tips.

*General Safety Tips you should always follow, whether you live in a big
city or a small town.*

*Don’t develop a pattern of behavior.*

•A pattern is what allows bad guys to plan an attack or ambush. It allows
them to track your comings and goings. So they can plan when they can
safely break into your apartment.

•Vary the times you come and go.

•Vary your routes to work, school, gym and coffeehouse

•Ever notice that when President Obama goes for a run, or even travels
anywhere, he never goes the same route twice? There’s a very logical reason
for that. Patterns can get you in trouble. Don’t have them.

*Know your surroundings *

•Beware of what is normal in your neighborhood…or anyplace you frequent.

•Is that a new car on the street?

•Have those guys always hung out on that corner?

•Knowing what is normal allows you to notice the changes.  Noticing changes
makes you more aware of potential dangers.  Those changes will cue you as
to when something unexpected might be about to happen

*We have a “gut” for a reason. 99.9% of the time, going against it is bad
form. *

The number one clue that something isn’t right will more than likely come
from inside of you. Your gut – That “something doesn’t seem ok here”
feeling you get in your stomach. Don’t ignore it! There’s a reason we have
those feelings. They’re ingrained from primal instincts, from millions of
years ago, when we’d turn around and find a Tyrannosaurus Rex walking
behind us, sizing us up for lunch.  DO NOT IGNORE YOUR GUT. If something
doesn’t seem right, it probably isn’t. Trust your gut. You have it for a
reason.

*Situational Awareness is your best friend. Not using it turns your
surroundings into your worst enemy.*

•Yes, it’s fun to play Angry Birds on the subway. But don’t you think
people are looking for those who are doing exactly that? If you’re busy
throwing birds at pigs, or landing planes, or even reading a book on your
device, the following things are happening:

•You’re focused almost entirely on whatever you’re doing, and not on your
surroundings.

•You’re not holding onto your device with any level of strength – Rather,
you’re just resting it on your hands. You can’t fling birds or turn pages
if you’re grasping onto a device, so you don’t do it. Instead, you just
rest it there, just waiting for someone to grab it and run off the train at
the next open stop.

•This isn’t limited to transportation. Using your phone while walking down
the street is just as bad – It’s so easy for someone going the other way to
focus on your device, grab it, and be in a running start while you’re still
like “What the hell just happened?” The thief is already ten feet away and
running by the time you turn around and even realize what’s going on. Good
luck catching up and getting your device back.

•In the end, I know we’re not going to stop using our devices in public
places. That would defeat the entire purpose of the device. What we can do,
though, is at least be more aware of our surroundings when we do it. Can we
look up for a second after every level and just assess our situation?
That’s not that hard to do.

*Have your keys in your hands*

Whether going to your car, work or apartment, have your keys in your hand
before you approach the door. This allows you quicker access through the
door and avoids the major distraction of fumbling for keys as you reach the
door. An attack is most likely to occur when you stop at a door and try to
find your keys.  Your head will be down and you will neither be looking
around or listen for unusual sounds (like steps coming your way).  Attacking
a victim at this time also has the advantage of gaining access to whatever
you were about to enter. Also, being hit with a large set of keys can often
discourage an attack and holding the keys between your fingers and punching
someone with them can make them very unhappy.

*Small things we should all do, but rarely do.*

•Wherever you are, a small powerful flashlight is one of the most important
things you can have.  Even with something as innocent as a power outage,
think of all the places you’ll be on any given day that have no outside
windows to let in light…hallways, stairs, elevators.  A flashlight will
always allow you to find your way to a safer place.

•In that same vein, don’t fall into the movie plot setup of investigating
noises in the dark…that is why you have a cell phone and know how to call
911 (or just walk away)

•A whistle or other noisemaker is your friend. Attach a small whistle onto
your keychain. There. Now it’s always there. Do NOT be afraid to use it to
attract attention.

•Instead of yelling “HELP” when something goes wrong, yell “FIRE!” People
are more likely to respond to “Fire” than to “help.”

*Have a buddy system*

This doesn’t mean you always have to take a buddy when you go somewhere.  It
means letting someone know when you are doing something different or going
someplace you haven’t been before… Also, when you plan to return.  It
doesn’t mean where to start looking for the body when you are kidnapped
(although it does help), but it can be very useful if should you be
stranded or injured in an area that doesn’t have cell coverage. You think
it’s an exaggeration? Some very logical examples that could easily happen
to you

•You leave work late one night, and get stuck in the elevator, long after
everyone else has gone home.

•You fall asleep on the subway and wake up lost (or worse, in the yards.
I’ve seen it happen.)

•You get in a car wreck and skid off the road, down a 200 foot hill into a
ravine, hidden from sight of the road.

•You get sick. Your appendix bursts. You hit your head. You name it.

Know the people in your neighborhood. When I’m walking to the gym in the
dark at 5am, there’s a homeless man on the corner of 46th Street. I bring
him a cup of coffee each morning. In turn, he keeps an eye on me in the
dark. It’s a good trade. Do you know the people in your neighborhood? Can
you call for them if you’re running away from trouble?

*Don’t look like a Victim *

•Victims of violent crimes like a mugging or robbery call attention to
themselves by either being oblivious to their surroundings (defenseless) or
by looking helpless (unable to defend themselves).

•Walk down a street with your head up and looking around.  Don’t hug either
side of the sidewalk…especially not the inside where you have to pass close
to doorways. For God’s sake, don’t text and walk at the same time. You’re
screaming out “ROB ME!”

•Don’t stare (it can be taken as a challenge) but don’t be afraid to look
at people (it isn’t an elevator).  You can nod or smile if you’d like, but
beware of offering an unintended invitation.

At the end of the day, personal security and situational awareness comes
down to not being clueless. I encourage you all to not be clueless.

*And lastly*

*Don’t be clueless*

•Yes, it is a wonderful new world out there to explore.  But try to pay
attention to the unusual when out walking.

•Has that person been behind you for a while?

•Do they stop when you stop and continue when you do?

•Do they look away when you turn to look at them?

•The easiest thing to do is go into a public place, like a coffee shop or
an eatery, and have a seat…if they stop too, you might consider calling 911
and have them check out your stalker.

•The worst thing to do is continue on your way is it takes you to a less
traveled area…if you can’t stop; take a longer but busier route.

Retrieved From:  http://shankman.com/how-to-avoid-being-a-victim
anywhere-any-time/

Thank you for your time.  We will be conducting a test of the RAVE
Emergency Alert System this afternoon (09/27/2016).

Bryan Denny
Criminal Justice Chair/C.O.P. Director/Chief of Police
Eastern Oklahoma State College
1301 W. Main Wilburton OK  74578
Ph: (918) 465-1755  Fax: (918) 465-4494
bdenny at eosc.edu