[Eoscstudents] BEWARE: Honor Society Notification that is coming to you via US Postal mail - Information on what it is and why they are sending you a notification

Brenda Strange bstrange at eosc.edu
Tue Apr 23 11:39:36 CDT 2019

CAUTION to letters received listing an ‘Honor Society’ to join that is not from Eastern.

“It’s no secret that businesses exploit college students. From loan sharks to credit card companies, predatory businesses from every industry seek to capitalize on our ignorance. Scam artists have found a new way to target impressionable college students: offering membership to “exclusive” honor societies and internship programs — at a price.

Unfortunately for students, NSCS and other organizations like it aren’t breaking the law. They’re legal tax-exempt, non-profit entities. The only way to stop these organizations is to do research before buying in. These groups know that suspicious students look them up regularly. Even on sites like College Confidential, organizations infiltrate forums with false information and paid-for testimonials. It’s important to look beyond the first page of search results and look on multiple sites for consensus on an honor society’s credibility.”

I personally have been asked by several students who have gotten these letters. I did some checking. This is what I found.  The reality is that those scholarships are available to anyone who would like to submit applications without going through any specific organization. They give you a link to the scholarships they promote, but you can find the same links and access and apply on your own.  It is a way to make money via students for their organization. It is a business to them.

On the other hand, Phi Theta Kappa is the National two year community college honor society and the one we promote on our campus.  It is only for community college students and you must be a member to have access to the transfer scholarships across the nation that are available upon graduation of a two year community college. PTK on our campus is used to enhance a students resume, garner transfer scholarships from being a PTK member on our campus when you receive your associates degree. Using your resume to gain other scholarship opportunities is a positive that comes from being invited based on your GPA and joining PTK.

If you ever receive an invitation other than from Eastern’s Phi Theta Kappa honor society, I would proceed with caution and take the steps to see if they are legit! I will be happy to help you find answers to  questions about any letter you receive that states it is an ‘honor society’ etc.

Mrs. Strange

Brenda Strange

Business Division Dean

CIS Chair & Professor