[Eoscstudents] Unique Spring Courses

Kristen Turner kturner at eosc.edu
Mon Nov 9 10:54:12 CST 2020

Good morning, Eastern. I always like to send out an email to let current
students know about unique types of classes that we offer each semester in
the Mass Communication Department. These courses often teach you valuable
real-world skills with equipment and software. You don't have to be a major
to take any of these classes, and they can be counted toward your General
Studies degree if that is your major. We are offering the following courses
in the spring:

*MCOMM 1101 Publication Production* - (T 11:15-12:30) - This class produces
our student newspaper. There are several roles for students interested in
writing, photography, web design, video production, or social media
management. The AP Stylebook is the required textbook for this course. It
is under $30.

*MCOMM 1103 Fundamentals of Photography* (ONLINE) - This course is the
study of the fundamentals of photography for the beginning student
interested in gaining a familiarization with photography and for the
hobbyist. No textbook is required with this course.

*MCOMM 1223 Video Production II* (MW 1-2:15) - **YOU DO* NOT* HAVE TO TAKE
VIDEO PRODUCTION I FIRST. This is a great course if you want to learn the
theory and practice of basic video production techniques in television and
post-production. This course uses a textbook that is available with Cengage
Unlimited, so if you already have Unlimited or are taking another course
with Unlimited, you will not have to pay extra for the ebook.

*MCOMM 1143 Fundamentals of Public Relations *(1st 8 weeks ONLINE) - This
is a great course if you have any interest in public relations or
marketing. This course goes over the use of tools and techniques to support
public relations programs. Attention is given to objectives, content,
style, and graphic presentation to interpret organizational policies to
internal and external publics through mass and specialized media. This
course uses a textbook that is available with Cengage Unlimited, so if you
already have Unlimited or are taking another course with Unlimited, you
will not have to pay extra for the ebook.

*MCOMM 1113 Introduction to Mass Communication* (2nd 8 weeks ONLINE) - This
is a very interesting course that gives you an overall view of the mass media
and how society is affected. This course is a general education elective
for many majors. This course uses a FREE open resource textbook.

I hope to see some of you in our classroom. Please email me if you have any
questions concerning any of these classes.

--
Kristen E. Turner
Dean of Language, Humanities, & Education