[Eoscstudents] There is an email that has circulated about an Honor Society today - from a memberservices at honorsociety.org - it is not legitimate. Please read the information provided in this email.

bstrange at eosc.edu bstrange at eosc.edu
Tue Jan 9 15:21:59 CST 2024

Eastern Students:

I had a student reach out to me today about an application to join an honor
society. Once I got my hands on the actual email, it is something that I
feel you need to be cautioned about.

The honor society solicitation is not something that will benefit you.  They
are wanting your membership fee with no benefits given. You can actually
gain access to any scholarship on their listing by searching and applying on
your own. The company in question can legally request the list of students
at Eastern who meet an academic criteria and Eastern by law has to release
to them the data they request.  It looks legitimate, but there are no
benefits to you.

There is only one truly recognized two year community college honor society
and it is called Phi Theta Kappa. PTK honor society is an invitation to join
if you achieve a GPA of 3.75 with 12 - 29 hours completed, or a GPA of 3.5
with 30 hours and above completed.  With PTK you are given the opportunity
for a substantial transfer scholarship once you complete your associates
degree. Once you are a member, your official transcript requests will be
identified with Member of Phi Theta Kappa, and your diploma will have a gold
seal attached to recognize the achievement. A great resume' builder and PTK
also is a great help in obtaining other scholarships you may apply for at
the 4 year institution you choose after Eastern.

Below is a screen shot of the email. If you received one of these emails,
please ignore.

Mrs. Strange