[Eoscstudents] Google storage limits

George Larson glarson at eosc.edu
Thu Jun 20 10:40:43 CDT 2024

In November of this year, Google will start enforcing the policy it created
in July 2022. Storage will no longer be unlimited for Google Workspace for
Education.

Eastern Oklahoma State College will be limited to 100 TB of pooled storage
shared by everyone (Faculty, Staff, and Students). Storage includes Emails,
Photos, Drives, Sheets, and other Google services.

As part of these changes, we will be introducing quotas on all eosc.edu
accounts. This is a necessary step to ensure that our storage resources are
used efficiently.

Currently, we are looking at the following limits:

Students – 10 GB

What will happen if you reach the storage limit on your Google account?

   - Gmail: Your email will not be affected, and you can still send and
   receive emails.
   - My Drive: Until you reduce the amount of storage in your account to
   below your quota amount:
      - You cannot sync or upload new files.
      - You cannot create new Google file types such as Google Docs,
      Sheets, Slides, Drawings, Forms, etc.
      - Users can’t record new meetings in Google Meet.
      - Neither you nor anyone else (i.e., collaborators shared on the
      file) will be able to edit the affected files you own.
      - Additionally, collaborators cannot add to or edit files in affected
      folder structures where the parent/root level folder is owned by someone
      whose storage is full. (For example, Person A owns files in a
folder owned
      by Person B. If Person B’s storage is full, Person A cannot edit their
      owned files in Person B’s folder.)
      - Google Forms in your account will no longer be able to accept
      additional responses.
      - Syncs stop between your computer's Google Drive for desktop folder
      and My Drive.
   - Photos: You cannot sync or upload additional photos or videos.

Thank you,

---

*George Larson*

Chief Data Officer