[Lender] Question re Length of Credit Approval Status

Mc Conahay, Pamela K. pmcconahay at ou.edu
Thu May 3 17:30:09 CDT 2007

I need help with something bankers should know, so I'm contacting my
friendly neighborhood bankers for info.  Yes, my brother, my niece, my
other niece and my sister all work for banks or credit unions, but
they're not in the neighborhood nor are they necessarily friendly at all
times.

Every year, we have an issue with parents who get a PLUS credit denial
in May when applying for a summer PLUS loan.   If they get denied, we
offer the student a dependent unsub for summer (assuming they haven't
gotten all of their dependent unsub annual limit prior to summer  They
want us to use that same credit denial as justification to offer the
student a dependent unsub loan for Fall 07-Spring 08, they don't want to
apply again for 07-08 and get another credit hit.  Makes sense to me.

Long ago, we decided that, because a credit approval is usually good for
90 days, we would consider the summer PLUS denial as also valid for the
upcoming fall/spring if the credit decision was issued within 90 days of
the start date of the fall semester.

Now, we're seeing credit approvals that last up to 120 days.

What is the industry standard for being able to approve a new loan
without pulling credit again?

Pam McConahay
Assoc. Dir., Compliance, Training & Lender Relations
University of Oklahoma Financial Aid Services
1000 Asp Avenue, Room 216 Norman OK 73019-4078
(405) 325-4617  Fax (405) 325-7608
pmcconahay at ou.edu

This message, and attachments if any,  from the University of Oklahoma
may contain confidential or privileged information.  If you are not the
intended recipient of this information, you are prohibited from reading,
disclosing, reproducing, distributing, disseminating, or otherwise using
this information.  If you received this transmission in error, please
notify the sender and delete this message immediately.  Thank you.